Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: .300 BLK or something else

"First, there is not much need to go above 150gr in 30 cal , because the projectile zip through and excess energy is waisted outside the animal and sometime in some very spectacular ricochets: watch out the background of your target!
    If you are going to use cast, then a 1 in 10 twist 308 will do the job and I am pretty sure that the 1 in 12" will stabilise the cast as well.
    And they will /should shoot more accurately than in 1 in 8 or 7 twist.( we are talking 100 to 150 m distance here not 50 yards)"

They will stabilise in 1 in 12" twist, the rifle i test them in is a .308 with a 1 in 13" twist with 8.5 grains of Trail Boss the velocity is 1040fps the groups at 50m are one hole of 12mm to 15mm, haven't had a chance
    to do any real testing at 100m yet, I don't hunt with the .308 the two I have are match rifles and weigh 6.5 kg, so I have to rely on friwi and others to give me feedback so far it is all positive the 150 HP is performing better than expected..

450 bushmaster running sub, pill found under skin on far side.
    225ftx I think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have you thought of 38spl/357mag with heavy bullets , 195-250grs ?

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisF View Post
    Have you thought of 38spl/357mag with heavy bullets , 195-250grs ?
    No. Not really. As I am getting the barrel done for a blaser I can use the 300 without any mods as I have the mag and bolt head already. I would likely have feeding issues with the .357/38.

If I was going to build a dedicated rifle then yes I see a lot of merit in that chambering. Especially projectile choice.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

I think the 300 BLK is a great calibre, should have got one years ago. So easy to load for and relatively cheap to run unless running the Lehigh subs.
    Have only head shot deer out to 80m with non dial up scopes but if I was using a dial up scope 200m is definitely doable.
    Ricochets are the only thing I worry about, but that was only on head shots on deer and goats.
    R93 likes this.

R93, I'd really like to encourage you to share the continued evolution of your project here.
    To me, the caliber seems to really suit the Blaser platform, complementing other application specific calibers/barrels that one might own.

R93
    It is being made as we speak.
    Eh Abe?😆

Hi Guys,

Just been playing with my new Ruger Ranch (16 inch barrel 1:7) in the weekend - Thought I'd pass on my thoughts. I've had a wee play stabilising the front fore end and taking the play out of the trigger and also looking critically around whats working and whats not.

Whats working: Accuracy - go to for Supers was the 125 sierra match king dropping 2 on top of one another and the about a half inch to the left. 18.2gr H101 I also did a batch at 17gr or AR2205 that inched a bit more spread but about 1 moa. WARNING they are a Match bullet - using this just to find my accuracy... they WILL pencil thru.

There's a bit of wear in here and tinkering going on here in set up so bear with me accuracy wise.

My hunting round is a Nosler 125 spitzer with 17gr 2205 about 2 moa at 100. (2100fps) and the 18.2's I got from Reece about the same grouping wise with a bit more bang at about 2300 on average

I need to just sit my Arse down and do some proper load development including jumps over the next few months is I think what it comes down to. Whats Not !

The close stuff on the 25m range nice pretty much on top of one another, as you'd expect for the BTSP and gave me comfort shooting off hand as this will be my bush rifle. Same 50m slightly opening to just under MOA but made me feel confident and hunting round at that speed would be able to do the stopping.

Sub's the factory Hornady 208 gr were about 2-2.5 MOA at 100 with a difference of POI of 16 MOA super -subs comparison.

Remarkably the LeHigh's were loaded at 9.8, 9.9 and 10gr of 2205 grouped about the same and very successfully at about 1.5 MOA - expensive, but man they were good the Hornadys knowing the result when they petal in the maximum expansion flavour I think they will be the go to for Goats.

Scope wise I threw on my Leupy VX2 CDS 3-9x40 and was plenty happy at the range. Once dialled in I'll get the 2 turrets made - one for Subs and the other for my hunting rounds.

Hope any of this helps - pretty happy with the Calibre - just if you're making brass be really careful to not use the Lee dies as they are not really up to it. I ended up getting a set of Reddings, a worlds finest case trimmer and a hobby cut off saw to make these - found there a people on tard me selling the cut brass. invest in a good fast trimmer tho!
    Last edited by Carpe Diem; 21-04-2015 at 02:30 PM.

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by Moutere View Post
    R93, I'd really like to encourage you to share the continued evolution of your project here.
    To me, the caliber seems to really suit the Blaser platform, complementing other application specific calibers/barrels that one might own.
    Barrel and reamer on their way. Won't be long now.
    Good winter project.....I hope😆

Looking forward to seeing it all come together.