Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: 300 Ham'R or 30 Apache

Quote Originally Posted by SixtyTen View Post
    The appeal of cast bullets to me is guaranteed availability as long as you can find lead. Current projectile situation is exactly why I like the idea of casting. I also enjoy tinkering and I design my own bullets and machine my own molds.
    The smaller caliber high velocity cartridges just don't work that well with cast projectiles for larger game and to me a .30 is about as small as you can go and still get decent weight behind a reasonable length projectile.
    The fact that you also have a speed limit of around 2200fps adds to the need for weight. 140-160gr seems to perform well at this velocity and it so happens that you can achieve this out of a little case like a 300 HAM'R, thumbs up all round in my books.

Subs are interesting and I have a short 45-70 single shot that I am loading cast 450gr flat nose projectiles at 1050fps which is great fun, but the trajectory and sights limit it to inside 100m realistically.

I have enough high velocity high BC laser beams that can kill to 800m+, cast bullets are the other end of the spectrum and is its own challenge, which I enjoy.
    Fair enough.
    If cast bullets and 223 bolt face are set in stone for you then 30 apache would be the way to go IMO.