Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: 300 Win Mag projectiles

Im also running the 208 eldm @2800fps, yet to kill anything with it, but im looking farward to the aforementioned devastation 😁

I shoot 165gr Accubonds in mine, they can be driven threw a meter, of mussel and bone, and still exit, (bull moose) 24th September.
    my rifle is pretty light (7'1/4lbs scoped) and 200gr are brutal in recoil,
    Feral and Rees like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
    What he said. They are doing just under 3000 in mine and flatten everything. Lots of damage, but really dead too..
    I've shot a lot of bull Tahr with my 300 WM from 80 yards to 700+ yards and the 208gr Hornady ELD-M at MV 2920 fps is my bullet of choice. Doesn't take prisoners at any range. I like anchor them on the spot and this is the best calibre and bullet load I have found for doing just that. Look no further.
    Feral likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by WireWorking View Post
    I am having issues with 180gr SST projectiles passing through animals and was wondering what projectiles everyone else uses. I have been using Fiocchi factory ammunition but now have enough cases to start reloading. I am wanting a projectile for bull tahr and stags from close range to 650 yards.
    hang on a minute??

SST, pasing through? any more to elaborate? is it expanding a it does so? or passing thru in 30 pieces?
    This is the first ive heard of the SST being anything other than, explosive?

For Tahr and Red skins the animals are not entirely "tough" although the Tahr is Dense i rekon for what they are... the standard Corelokt is superb on this class game. fancy Cu an Core like ELDX are better on paper the further back you stand.

i cant argue wit hthe ELDX performance in NZ,its a very common projectile over there.

Quote Originally Posted by southernman View Post
    I shoot 165gr Accubonds in mine, they can be driven threw a meter, of mussel and bone, and still exit, (bull moose) 24th September.
    my rifle is pretty light (7'1/4lbs scoped) and 200gr are brutal in recoil,
    Accubonds are Best hunting bullets for 3m to 600m i rekon.... just a little pricey for Myself to use often.
    price aside... one of the best hunting projectiles

Where abouts are we trying to poke the hole in the animal?, I too used to run the 180sst @ around 3000 and found them way too explosive, tried the 200eldx couldn’t get it to shoot that well, now running 178eldx, great projectile, if ur worried about damaging meat at close range shoot it in the head
    Mooseman likes this.