Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: 300wsm heavies

300wsm heavies

In an attempt to keep myself sane over the next month I've purchased a 300wsm to add to the stable. Now I get to ponder pills and loads until I can get it.

I'm looking to shoot the heavies a bit slower eg 190 vld, 195tmk , eldm etc. I'm going to be limited by mag length as it's a rem 700 with 23inch bbl.

Is this viable or better to drop down a bit and gain speed. I have some 2209 and superperformance to start with.

*also a tub of 2213sc
    Last edited by cameronjackwhite; 26-03-2020 at 07:23 PM.

Be interested in this too. I use 185vld in mine but wanted to try something else. Not sure about your powder though, might be too fast for heavy projectiles.

Try the Hornady Precision Hunter ammo 200gn ELD-X
    Goes pretty good in my rifle and good on steel to 435m so far

I expect @Pommy might chime in with some ideas. He shoots the 208 Eld-M and has just started playing with that super pointy Sierra 200 grain jobbie. He does have a Tikka so shoots them long, but he's an obsessive Quickload nerd who is currently trying to come up with as many ways as possible not to get bored....

I do know he uses unicorn dust aka Re26 in it. And has tried N560 too. Just can't recall if he's used anything more conventional in it.

What is your max overall length that will fit in the mag? What brass are you using?

I'm not sure what over all mag length is yet, I'd say its whatever a rem 700 short action is unless they do a different internal mag for wsms? I'll be ordering brass from gunworks over the next week or so itll be norma. Cant pick the rifle up until all this is over anyhow

2209 would work well I shoot H4350 in mine and its basically the same powder. 200eldx is very accurate.
    Go for it

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    Gibo likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by dirkvanvuuren View Post
    2209 would work well I shoot H4350 in mine and its basically the same powder. 200eldx is very accurate.
    Go for it

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    Mag fed? Out of curiosity what sort of speeds are you getting

208 ELD-Ms go well in my .300WM at 2980 fps with 2217.
    Your little fat bloke should get them above 2800 ����

Quote Originally Posted by cameronjackwhite View Post
    In an attempt to keep myself sane over the next month I've purchased a 300wsm to add to the stable. Now I get to ponder pills and loads until I can get it.

I'm looking to shoot the heavies a bit slower eg 190 vld, 195tmk , eldm etc. I'm going to be limited by mag length as it's a rem 700 with 23inch bbl.

Is this viable or better to drop down a bit and gain speed. I have some 2209 and superperformance to start with.

*also a tub of 2213sc
    Whats the barrel twist rate in yours? Am eyeing up a couple locally but still not sure if I want 300 wsm or 7 rem mag.
    Nothing is tough about having a 70 lb bow and looking like an uncoordinated praying mantis while trying to draw it back.

Quote Originally Posted by Boar Freak View Post
    Whats the barrel twist rate in yours? Am eyeing up a couple locally but still not sure if I want 300 wsm or 7 rem mag.
    1:10 going off the site. Virtually brand new with 24" barrel and dpt can. Dont think you can go wrong with either cartridge to be honest. I Just didnt have a 30cal in the safe
    Boar Freak likes this.

I run 180 Berger EH with Hybrid 100V at 3040 fps out of mine. The bc on the 180 EH 0.576 is a real plus

300WSM is a bit like 284 in the sense that it's designed to work in a short action but it really comes alive when you can seat the bullets back out towards long action lengths.

With that in mind, I grabbed a 28" 1:9 barrel and had it throated long for the heavies. The factory 24" 1:11 Tikka barrel will also stabilise most 30 cal pills advertised as needing a 1:10, thanks to the extra speed over a 308... Out to 1000m at least.

My load until recently has been a 208 ELD-M, 3.115" OAL, and anywhere where up to around 70gr of RL26, depending on how long I want the brass to last. It'll crack 3000fps.

On that point about brass life... Norma WSM brass is soft as shit and I fuckin wish Lapua would step in and do it properly for them. You'll get ejector stamps the moment you even think about using Norma for a warm load.

Anyway... the longer 1:9 barrel doesn't get me much more speed over the shorter 1:11 because it hits pressure a bit faster, I presume because of the increased twist rate. I tried up to 71gr of 2217 and got 2930fps. I reckon 2213SC would be the best bet if using ADI powder in a 24" barrel but could still seat long, and 2209 if also restricted to SA mag length.

New load is a 200gr SMK's but these want a 1:9 so I wouldn't try them in a 1:11. And no way in hell are you going to get them in a SA mag without the ogive halfway down the case neck. I'm seating them out to 3.200" and they're still much further from the rifling than the ELD's.

I'd find out what mag/throat length will allow you to get away with without eating too far into case capacity, before deciding on projectiles.
    ANTSMAN likes this.

Sound advice cheers, it's a 1:10 barrel so should be good for stabilizing but I like to have mag fit ammo. Wondering if the 175tmks or 178eldms are a better option. They will be seated deep being a remington and not a tikka theres no simple bolt stop and mag mod

You can get a Wyatt extended mag box for your 700. I got Gunworks to grind the bolt stop back. I’ve fitted them to my .284 and 7 saum, mag length is 2.990 now from memory.

Quote Originally Posted by Pommy View Post
    300WSM is a bit like 284 in the sense that it's designed to work in a short action but it really comes alive when you can seat the bullets back out towards long action lengths.

With that in mind, I grabbed a 28" 1:9 barrel and had it throated long for the heavies. The factory 24" 1:11 Tikka barrel will also stabilise most 30 cal pills advertised as needing a 1:10, thanks to the extra speed over a 308... Out to 1000m at least.

My load until recently has been a 208 ELD-M, 3.115" OAL, and anywhere where up to around 70gr of RL26, depending on how long I want the brass to last. It'll crack 3000fps.

On that point about brass life... Norma WSM brass is soft as shit and I fuckin wish Lapua would step in and do it properly for them. You'll get ejector stamps the moment you even think about using Norma for a warm load.

Anyway... the longer 1:9 barrel doesn't get me much more speed over the shorter 1:11 because it hits pressure a bit faster, I presume because of the increased twist rate. I tried up to 71gr of 2217 and got 2930fps. I reckon 2213SC would be the best bet if using ADI powder in a 24" barrel but could still seat long, and 2209 if also restricted to SA mag length.

New load is a 200gr SMK's but these want a 1:9 so I wouldn't try them in a 1:11. And no way in hell are you going to get them in a SA mag without the ogive halfway down the case neck. I'm seating them out to 3.200" and they're still much further from the rifling than the ELD's.

I'd find out what mag/throat length will allow you to get away with without eating too far into case capacity, before deciding on projectiles.

Sorry for the hijack.
    Have you shot 165 SST-s from your 300 @Pommy ? I was thinking to use 165 SST for longer shots then 130 TTSX in bush out of 24" barrel 1:10 twist. No brake or suppressor. Shooting reds and sika.
    Nothing is tough about having a 70 lb bow and looking like an uncoordinated praying mantis while trying to draw it back.