Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: 303-25

87 gn Hornadys are a carnitas pill, very soft. You need to go to 100s for medium game. 87 s are great on skippies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Should read varmit pill.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Banned
    Yep, 100's it is. I have read people stabilising the sierra pro hunters ok.
    Gotta watch out for those carnitas though aye.
    Cheers Dicko

I've had pretty good results (on Reds, Fallow and Tahr) with 100 Gn Pro Hunters in my 250 Savage, which will be pushing them out the same or a wee bit less than your 303-25

northdude
    Cool to see an old school cal bought back to life I like the older stuff
    csmiffy likes this.

Sorry Steve dog, went out for the evening,iam using 87 gn hotcor at the moment that has been the most accurate so far it 100 pro hunters were not to bad either, going to try 117 gn rn next , shot my1st sika with it years ago then it went in cupboard for along time while I used other rifles but started loading for it again 3or4 years ago and have only shot pigs since then , with no problems, I have got the reamer die aswell to go from 303 to 303-25 if ya need one .

Banned
    Keeps life interesting. I didn't know bugger all about this though am learning more thanks to the forum.
    Thanks gur, I have a form die as well. Be keen to know how the 117gr round nose work out. Is your a 12 twist as well?

Yes 1in12 twist 25 inch barrel,was thinking about chopping 5 off and putting my 7 mm dpt can on,one day , I also tried 80 gn Barnes and 75 v max , a 15 sample pack of Barnes was not enuff to fine tune them , keen to try them again.

Banned
    Loaded up some yesterday. Form die from simplex works well. Melted a few tips of the neck annealing. Think I got the knack after a few. Started out at max nick harvey data which was in a no1 mk3 rifle which if I'm not mistaken is a rear locking lug rifle and limited to lower pressure than front locking Mauser style.Name:  P_20180512_194640_vHDR_Auto.jpg
Views: 618
Size:  1.04 MB
    Marty Henry likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by stevodog View Post
    Started out at max nick harvey data which was in a no1 mk3 rifle which if I'm not mistaken is a rear locking lug rifle and limited to lower pressure than front locking Mauser style.Attachment 87468
    That was my thoughts for when I have a play reloading for my P14 303

Banned
    Cool, thanks for the headcheck on that smiffy. Someone was kind enough to forward me the NH data which is the only strong reference point to go with my other skerics of data.
    When will you be making thunder in the valleys with the 303?

@stevodog a while yet. I was going to try to get the action back this weekend, but didn't get hold of the dude. felt crap all weekend so just as well.
    Made some aluminium pillars for it but want the action back to get the clearance on the mag well right.
    Then I have to take all the dowels I fitted to repair the cracks and excess glue (I thought I wiped the excess off but noooo..) and then bed the action and finish the stock.
    I could just cheat a little and clean it up enough to fit action and glue the pillars in and try it but I'm in no rush. Don't even have any ammo yet.
    Walker helped with that reloading data yeah? He, and a lot of others on this forum, have been very helpful with my project. In fact one of the posters on this thread sold it to me in the first place.
    They both sound like they have some very interesting firearms.

Banned
    A few things to come together then. Sounds like your pretty handy to do the work yourself. There is a myriad of help and knowledge from posters on here. Hard to think how I got on pre-internet. Hutch posted the load data to me. Interesting the cases turned out .020 less than the trim measurement. See how much they stretch on firing

Silly part is I'm a fitter/turner by trade but the gunsmith mate helping me is more of a stock man. But he's been doing the bases etc and I'm doing the basket case of a stock.
    Its really around the wrong way.

Banned
    Would a dark or possibly ebony finish be good for it?