Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: 308 brass to 7mm08

Sizing 308 Palma down to 708 can be done, no issues at all. Zimmer is correct, if SRP does not work in a 308 there u something else wrong(in most cases the shoulder has been pushed back to far.

Shout out if you cant find Palma brass. Ive got some Lapua Palma SRP brass(new).
    Micky Duck likes this.

Greetings,
    From memory the cases were the thin Remington ones with small rifle primer pockets made for reforming into 7mmBR. A hunter had worked up loads in these for his .308 and they shot really well until he took them hunting in cold conditions where they did not shoot at all. Again from memory this appeared in Rifle or Handloader Q&A column many years ago. I know that target shooters often use the small primed cases but these are not generally shot in the same conditions. I don't remember what the powder was which could be important.
    GPM.

Quote Originally Posted by grandpamac View Post
    Greetings,
    From memory the cases were the thin Remington ones with small rifle primer pockets made for reforming into 7mmBR. A hunter had worked up loads in these for his .308 and they shot really well until he took them hunting in cold conditions where they did not shoot at all. Again from memory this appeared in Rifle or Handloader Q&A column many years ago. I know that target shooters often use the small primed cases but these are not generally shot in the same conditions. I don't remember what the powder was which could be important.
    GPM.
    my understanding is if it sparks it should bang, but a matter of slow or fast, sometimes under extreme cold even the lrp could not deliver the speed, thus the magnum is handy.

Under extreme cold other things could come into play eg sluggish firing pin release due to dirty of overlubed bolt internals.
    Without more specific info on the failure to fire we can only speculate.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Jonnys reloading bench on YouTube done a bit of a unscientific study on the srp thing after he found himself getting hangfires
    And found that powders with poor case full was the culprit when using powders which filled the case it was no issue
    But poor casefull powders were pretty consistent on hangfires and from memory he had a couple of missfires also
    Micky Duck likes this.