Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: 308 Max loads

JWB
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Boaraxa View Post
    Ok sweet il try a nice day & a bit more powder , I was hoping to seat the bullet just behind the lands but the mag wont allow it ..thanks for the reply's team.
    Everyone is entitled to be as innovative and adventurous as their intelligence allows. Why, I knew a chap up this way with only one arm as a result of fishing with gelly. Go for it I say, after all, what could possibly go wrong?

I’m running 46 GRS with a 165 sgk. Approx 2780 according to my chrony. I was thinking I was already pushing my luck - I usually don’t run at book max - don’t see the point. What’s another click or two? Shoots very well (22” sako).

52 grains is case capacity to top of neck, so 46 should be the practical limit. If you must have more speed or powder capacity a 3006 reamer is the answer, after all the 308 is just a 3006 that didnt eat its veg when it was little.
    Shootm and Micky Duck like this.

MSL
    I use 49 grains, but it is quite a fine powder

Quote Originally Posted by 7x64 View Post
    I’m running 46 GRS with a 165 sgk. Approx 2780 according to my chrony. I was thinking I was already pushing my luck - I usually don’t run at book max - don’t see the point. What’s another click or two? Shoots very well (22” sako).
    Yep that velocity will be max or very close,velocity is a good indicator of pressure load data is not always.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

careful does it...
    Gibo likes this.
    Use enough gun

I run 46gr of 2208 with sierra 165gr HPBT in my tikka t3 308 with a 16.5" barrel, 10 shots into 0.6" @ 100 is the best group but consistently shoots tight. Need to chrony it as really curious to see speeds so i can work out my drop chart.
    Did a live test yesterday with the dog on a goat and needless to say the exit wound was pretty brutal albeit the shot was only 30-40m quartering away. Happy that it opened up on a small animal though rather than punch through it.

Quote Originally Posted by superdiver View Post
    I run 46gr of 2208 with sierra 165gr HPBT in my tikka t3 308 with a 16.5" barrel, 10 shots into 0.6" @ 100 is the best group but consistently shoots tight. Need to chrony it as really curious to see speeds so i can work out my drop chart.
    Did a live test yesterday with the dog on a goat and needless to say the exit wound was pretty brutal albeit the shot was only 30-40m quartering away. Happy that it opened up on a small animal though rather than punch through it.
    If you have access out to say 3-400 then a chrony isn't needed, or as accurate unless you spend a lot.

Yeh my accuracy was at 44.6 of 2208 with the 165. The 165 is also the accurate weight for my finnlight.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    superdiver likes this.
    Dan M

@Gibo i do have access out to that distance so was thinking could do a drop chart and somehow figure out speed that way if possible.
    Only issue is my scope is a 2.5-8 so getting sufficient zoom at 400y on a 1" target may be an issue?
    Going to work in yards as scope has the B&C reticle.

@Gibo i do have access out to that distance so was thinking could do a drop chart and somehow figure out speed that way if possible.
    Only issue is my scope is a 2.5-8 so getting sufficient zoom at 400y on a 1" target may be an issue?
    8x is plenty for 4-500 . I've shot 1000 with 10x and that was getting fairly small LOL.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    veitnamcam likes this.

Mate its pretty easy. Set up a tall target at say 300 or 400 thereabouts but you need to know the distance via rangefinder, make sure your zero at a hundy is spot on, now the target needs to be about say a metre to be safe, draw a dot about the size of a golf ball up near the top of the target board, do not dial and aim 3-5 shots at that dot, once done, measure the distance in inches from the dot to the centre of your group. Twiddle with a ballistic calculator until the drop in inch at that particular range matches and waaalah you will have your muzzle velocity . Thats all a bit mixed up but will get you there
    veitnamcam and WallyR like this.