Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: 308 reloading

First ignore the factory length, use a fired case and slightly put a ding in the case mouth, carefully start a bullet in the case then gently chamber. The bullet will slide down the neck and give you the AOL for your chamber and that projectile. Load to that length and see how you go.

Quote Originally Posted by Walker View Post
    First ignore the factory length, use a fired case and slightly put a ding in the case mouth, carefully start a bullet in the case then gently chamber. The bullet will slide down the neck and give you the AOL for your chamber and that projectile. Load to that length and see how you go.
    Already checked out to the lands mate. Been loading based on an ADI reloading info. Don't want to seat them out that long as am sure i will be fine around that 2.8" COAL size will just have to have a play. Why do you say ignore the factory lenght?

Greetings Superdriver,
    Sounds as though you have a long throat. Mine has and shoots flat base projectiles better than boat tails, from sub Moa to Moa plus. The point of impact does seem to move after the first three shots, possibly a bedding problem? You could try shooting only three shot groups with plenty of time between the groups. That would be a better indication of practical accuracy.
    Just a thought.
    Grandpamac.
    Micky Duck and superdiver like this.

Quote Originally Posted by grandpamac View Post
    Greetings Superdriver,
    Sounds as though you have a long throat. Mine has and shoots flat base projectiles better than boat tails, from sub Moa to Moa plus. The point of impact does seem to move after the first three shots, possibly a bedding problem? You could try shooting only three shot groups with plenty of time between the groups. That would be a better indication of practical accuracy.
    Just a thought.
    Grandpamac.
    How would you rate flat points to 450-500m though? I hear good things about the pro hunters. Have some 165 flat base interlocks so could give them a go

cigar? The 178gr ELD-X shoot really well in my 1:12 twist 24" 308. 42.5gr of AR2208 gives me 2560fps. what barrel length do you have?

I'm only getting that speed with 44g but it's a 1/11 twist and a 22 inch barrel.(Sako 85 so similar to a finnlite) Shoots bloody well sub quarter inch groups with easy. Haven't used a decent chrony / labador
    so wondering if my speeds are wrong.

Gone but not forgotten
    Quote Originally Posted by flock View Post
    cigar? The 178gr ELD-X shoot really well in my 1:12 twist 24" 308. 42.5gr of AR2208 gives me 2560fps. what barrel length do you have?

I'm only getting that speed with 44g but it's a 1/11 twist and a 22 inch barrel.(Sako 85 so similar to a finnlite) Shoots bloody well sub quarter inch groups with easy. Haven't used a decent chrony / labador
    so wondering if my speeds are wrong.
    It's a 24 inch barrel, speeds were measured with a magnetospeed and a Prochrono on several occasions.
    If I was shooting sub quarter inch groups I wouldn't care what speed they were doing!
    chainsaw and Micky Duck like this.

Quote Originally Posted by superdiver View Post
    Already checked out to the lands mate. Been loading based on an ADI reloading info. Don't want to seat them out that long as am sure i will be fine around that 2.8" COAL size will just have to have a play. Why do you say ignore the factory lenght?
    diferent strokes for different folks I guess.....what I was getting at is there is SOMETHING about that coreloct load that clicks with your rifle..... why ever not see if you can tune into it...nothing to loose.
    superdiver likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by superdiver View Post
    How would you rate flat points to 450-500m though? I hear good things about the pro hunters. Have some 165 flat base interlocks so could give them a go
    Greetings Superdriver,
    It could be worth trying the 165 grain interlocks which should tell you if it is the boat tails giving you problems. You could also run the trajectory and wind deflection numbers to see how much you actually loose by going to a flat base. The answer may surprise you. A longer and heavier boat tail may also help.
    Regards Grandpamac.

Plain old Hornady SPs, with flat bases, both 150gr and 165gr are very easy to get shooting well.p
    257weatherby and Micky Duck like this.
    "The generalist hunter and angler is a well-fed mofo" - Steven Rinella

My finnlight groups really well with the 178eldx. But recall that you’re not a fan of them? Haven’t tried them on game yet but have high hopes

Have some 150ssts coming plus some 165nbts. Will have another play with the speer BTSP and the 165 flat base interlocks. Guy I know is giving me some 178 precision hunters to try and if that size shoots could even try 178eldms as cannot seem to find 168eldms at the moment

your speer btsp will be NEARLY as soft and all expandy/explody as the flashasmichealjackson eldms so a good longer range proposition if you can get acceptable group size. the 165nbts should be good too...not many folks have bad words to say about them other than price.
    agree hornady interlocks dont seem to be hard to get to shoot well....but well is relative to task at hand.

Been hearing good things about the Sierra Game Changers. Think they come in 165s

A word of caution about the BTs. I used them in my 300WM and they were great. Accurate and deadly. I tried them in my short (16") 308 and they weren't so good. Still accurate but a tad harder than I liked for the reduced velocities of a short barreled 308win. They penetrated really well but didn't do a much damage on the way through as I wanted. I have just switched to 168 ELD-M but only have one kill with them so far. A Red hind at 30 yards quatering away. I put the bullet behind her near shoulder and it never exited. The BT would have gone straight through and out the other side still doing 1000fps.
    superdiver and country cuts like this.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

Quote Originally Posted by flock View Post
    Been hearing good things about the Sierra Game Changers. Think they come in 165s
    Yeah mate I have shot them with the sako ammo but alot harder than the NBTs.