Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: 308 starter load suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by grandpamac View Post
    After a fine lunch, thanks Russel, I got back to my notes which revealed the following. Mostly I have weighed a sample of each batch of cases feeling that case weight gives a good indication of capacity. With the most current samples of R-P, Winchester and Lapua weight with primer varies from 170 to 176 grains with Lapua at the heavier end. This would equate to less than 1 grain of powder. Norma (an old batch) averaged 165 grains and Federal together with some LC 79 and 81 cases averaged 183 grains. Older WW-Super and WW cases were lighter than current Winchester cases at around 160 grains. So what does all this mean? With the middle batch, R-P, Win and Lapua, there should not be much change in pressure or velocity. With the outliers some adjustment is likely to be needed to achieve the same velocity. What I would do is to load a small batch, say 3, with a charge 2 grains under your current load, with each case keeping everything the same other than the case. Chronograph the loads on the same day and set up. If the differences in velocity are minimal then so is pressure. If not then a small adjustment in charge should bring them into line. In any case do check the actual weight of a sample of both your current and new cases as cases change over time.
    Regards Grandpamac.
    Thanks so much for the considered and thorough advice. Very much appreciated.

Greetings HandH,
    Thanks for your kind words. My hand loading adventure started in the mid seventies with a basic loading manual and some basic kit but without anyone else to give advice. Being naturally cautious I didn't get myself into too much trouble but the learning curve was steep at times. Now, closing on 50 years later and still learning I feel a responsibility to pass on what I have learn't in those ways that I can so you are welcome.
    Regards Grandpamac.
    bumblefoot and Jaco Goosen like this.