Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree105Likes

Thread: 44-40 Reloading/Shooting

Handsome!
    I know a lot but it seems less every day...

Quote Originally Posted by Jhon View Post
    Handsome!
    Liar...LOL!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    must look back to see...but believe if you quote someones post it stays put,even when everything else goes under ban hammer..... MAYBE when see something you want to re reference endless times in future.quote it.... maybe.
    pretty sure it was in this thread CH gave advice re duplex loading..... and it works really well. eg tiny bit of smokeless under black powder.

re trail boss loads....have a good look at the load data and take particular note of the pressures...in the .45/70 the TB loads have HIGHER pressure than 2208 etc....
    Mickey Duck Can you help me find pressure data on using Trailboss.I have 2 large canisters to use up and can not find pressure data anywhere..
    Also data for 500 gr projectiles in a sharps using trailboss.

Quote Originally Posted by Tedz50 View Post
    Mickey Duck Can you help me find pressure data on using Trailboss.I have 2 large canisters to use up and can not find pressure data anywhere..
    The only 44/40 with Trail Boss listed by Hodgdon is with a 200 grain bullet Max load is 6.5 grains pressure is 11.900 psi

Quote Originally Posted by shooternz View Post
    The only 44/40 with Trail Boss listed by Hodgdon is with a 200 grain bullet Max load is 6.5 grains pressure is 11.900 psi
    Perhaps the wrong thread but all data for 45/70 and trailboss seems to stop at 405 grain bullets and pressure data seems to be thin on ground.

Perhaps the wrong thread but all data for 45/70 and trailboss seems to stop at 405 grain bullets and pressure data seems to be thin on ground.
    Don't bother using trailboss for 45/70, lots of guys find the bullets don't stabilize properly with it. Try 28-30gr of 2208 with a couple of felt wads to take up the case space.

Quote Originally Posted by NZ32 View Post
    Don't bother using trailboss for 45/70, lots of guys find the bullets don't stabilize properly with it. Try 28-30gr of 2208 with a couple of felt wads to take up the case space.
    Trail boss works fine with the lighter projectiles

Name:  4570 piggy - 2.jpg
Views: 236
Size:  164.8 KB
    Micky Duck likes this.
    The Biggest Room is the Room for Improvement

Quote Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
    Trail boss works fine with the lighter projectiles

Attachment 194488
    True, not used any below 420gr. Its a big case to fill so not sure what it would be like if you used a big trailboss load

Quote Originally Posted by NZ32 View Post
    True, not used any below 420gr. Its a big case to fill so not sure what it would be like if you used a big trailboss load
    True, I still put a full load trailboss as listed on the hodgdon website and a wad on top. You don't need speed when you have a big lump of lead.
    The Biggest Room is the Room for Improvement

ADI website......

what surprised the hell out of me when comparing load data..the same projectile at same speed .....the likes of 2208 had way less pressure than trail boss....

and then I found out how much fun black powder was for the lighter/slower loads...and then with thanks to this thread tried duplex.....and that is even better. trailboss can sit in cabinet untill I find another use for it...

In general, the 200gr 44-40 at 1,325fps and the 405gr 45-70 at normal velocities have nearly identical trajectories to 200 yards.

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Austin View Post
    In general, the 200gr 44-40 at 1,325fps and the 405gr 45-70 at normal velocities have nearly identical trajectories to 200 yards.
    I know which one I'd rather pull the trigger on lol
    I know a lot but it seems less every day...

Quote Originally Posted by Jhon View Post
    Great to keep the thread alive! Reloder 7? I'll have to go back thru the posts, not a powder I remember being discussed. Good to know! And good shooting at 250 yards!!

I had my Rossi 92 out to chrono some Vihtavuori Tin Star N42C . Not sure it is made any more but was developed i understand as a smokeless analogue for BP for CAS. I had high hopes that a lightly compressed charge would overcome bullet recession issues. I got reasonable accuracy from the 20" barrel at 50m with cheap Hawke River coated 250gn FP projectiles from Delta Mike, certainly M.O.D. My max load had the bullet firmly seated on the powder to the point where if seating deeper was attempted the neck tension was unable to hold the compression thus springing the bullet back. Nevertheless, the 4th bullet in the tube did recess about 4mm. None of the prior loads did. Velocity for this load was early 1400s fps. Giving quite a good shoulder thump. One case had a very slight split at case mouth after firing. No other pressure signs.

Most accurate was a couple of half grain steps back, with the bullet lightly touching the powder, heaviest crimp I could manage. Velocity in the upper mid 1300s. Plenty really for the task. No signs of recession with 4 in the tube.

I have acquired a mini tube cutter. Employing that is the next task.

One issue I have with the rifle is an in-consistent very light nick/ding appearing in he edge of fired case mouths, from first firing. I can find no pit or roughness in the chamber at the throat, but I guess it must be there. Unless it is happening on extraction. I think I'm going to have to borrow a bore scope one of these days

Jhon, the nick in the case mouth is caused by your extractor. Which will be strong enough to make that as the case gets drawn out and the mouth of the case gets drawn free of the chamber, it gets that nick in the thin brass. You might look at weakening the extractor spring a touch, which will stop that. Otherwise, just extract slowly and hold the case down until its pulled back far enough you can handle it out.

Reloader 7 will make the same bulk smokeless load as AR2207 / H4198 with 26 grains. And both give excellent velocity (and pressures good for '73 rifles.)

My .44-40 is now the cheapest rifle to feed - brass lasts a long time, with 9 grains of AP70N per shell, powder is ridiculously cheap, and I make my lead bullets. I am paying for primers really. Now that I can make a crimp under the bullet to hold my projectiles in place over smaller smokeless loads with the pipe cutter, the last bulwark was overcome.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    what surprised the hell out of me when comparing load data..the same projectile at same speed .....the likes of 2208 had way less pressure than trail boss....

and then I found out how much fun black powder was for the lighter/slower loads...and then with thanks to this thread tried duplex.....and that is even better. trailboss can sit in cabinet untill I find another use for it...
    I have most of a jug of it here I have not touched for years. I dont use Trailboss for anything anymore. Its only good for gallery loads for CAS, which is what it was invented for obviously, but it does it with quite high pressures. To make light loads or even cheap full power loads you are better off with Unique, Universal, or AP70N. These were made for light centrefire loads and have worked well for decades. For examples, light "small game"" loads in big cartridges are ridiculously accurate. With the .308, 30/06 and AP70 and loads at around 1800fps I am shooting MOA or less groups, and the same with the .223 as well.

But if you have a .44-40 then black powder is the way to go, I would be loading some up now, but I cant find any AR2205 or any black powder around to make my duplex loads. So I am just using smokeless 2207 loads. For some reason its the only powder you can still find at the shops during this shortage, so thats fine with me.