Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: 44 mag powder coated lead accuracy @ $0.31 per projectile

my pig hunting buddy was most impressed when handed them to him today...loved the look of the last 5 Berries 240grn hps in the box too..man are those wee puppies slick to load into cases.
    its a .44magnum thread...... they were loaded into .44mag cases...speaking of which,had really weird one happen TWICE today.. primer didnt leave pocket and pin poked right through...what a bitch to rectify...5mm drill bit and case help in alloy soft jaws in vice sorted it..the primer flash holes on the PMC bronze cases were about 50% of the time on the piss,maybe a mm off the centre so pin poked into side of primer and tried to pull it out on angle.
    in 30 years of reloading Ive never struck that before.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    my pig hunting buddy was most impressed when handed them to him today...loved the look of the last 5 Berries 240grn hps in the box too..man are those wee puppies slick to load into cases.
    its a .44magnum thread...... they were loaded into .44mag cases...speaking of which,had really weird one happen TWICE today.. primer didnt leave pocket and pin poked right through...what a bitch to rectify...5mm drill bit and case help in alloy soft jaws in vice sorted it..the primer flash holes on the PMC bronze cases were about 50% of the time on the piss,maybe a mm off the centre so pin poked into side of primer and tried to pull it out on angle.
    in 30 years of reloading Ive never struck that before.
    I was having a slow night Micky, and you often run at a tangent -.but thank you for pointing me back in the right direction

Yes I've had that happen with a primer trying to recollect calibre, I fancy it was 223 possibly with a military crimp. Couple of times and just chucked them in my dead brass bin. But I'd prob drill a 44mag case too. Glad it worked out for you. Otherwise I'd feel compelled to send a replacement lol
    Micky Duck likes this.
    I know a lot but it seems less every day...

this is probably the BEST /most appropriate place to pose this question....
    the .44 magnum which PRIMER is supposed to be used, LPP or LRP I have been using LRP without any issues but if the pistol version is available maybe its better to be using them????

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    this is probably the BEST /most appropriate place to pose this question....
    the .44 magnum which PRIMER is supposed to be used, LPP or LRP I have been using LRP without any issues but if the pistol version is available maybe its better to be using them????
    Doesn't matter, as long as if using LRP the primer must sit flush (they are slightly taller) and the hammer has enough force to set them off (thicker primer cup), if using LPP the primer is thick enough that it's not bursting or excessively flowing into the firing pin hole (thinner cup). Neither is better than the other if they go off and handle pressure, the precautionary would probably say work up your loads for each but I'd probably only work up if going from LRP to LPP rather than LPP to LRP. Primer cup thickness varies between brands so you may find some LPPs not up to the task.

In saying this 44mag is operating at the ~36k PSI range and many other pistol cartridges that use LPP are in the ~20k PSI range so you may find LPPs aren't up to snuff and Large Pistol Magnum Primers are required.

There probably is a difference in the amount of priming compound in them but I've moved between both and never noticed much difference in velocities or signs of pressure and I suspect only a problem if you're already on the max loading.
    Last edited by Makros; 29-09-2023 at 01:35 PM.

thanks bud thats just what I was hoping for...carry on as have been,no problems so dont go looking for any...definately are not loading hot.

Have you tried the 6.5 ones yet