Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: The .45-70 Govt turns 150 next year

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Henry View Post
    The trapdoor is a rifle that got stuck in a timewarp. When everyone else had dropped the transitional designs in favour of dedicated single shot rifles the yanks kept churning them out. I've an 1884, the "improved " model. They are basically the same thing as the 73 with small changes to the block and extractor and the wondrous Buffington sight.
    It's a rifle thats fun to shoot and quite acurate even with a lighty pitted bore, but its awkward to operate compared to the martini.
    Funnily enough it attracts more attention at demonstration range days than the martinis do. People see the hammer and think it's a musket.
    Yes they stuck with the Trapdoor for a very long time despite having better options available

I guess the state arsenals were enormous and expensive and the longer a series ran for the cheaper it was

Despite its faults and early issues with extraction due to weak cartridge rims
    It would seem that they liked the Trapdoors extraction power more than the rolling blocks

Had secret hankering for a Springfield Trapdoor....owned a Sharp's once...quite possibly a original. Didn't realize what I had at the time....swapped it for K2 Hunter pack.?which I still have.

Sent from my SM-T225 using Tapatalk

Fun cartridge and a breaze to load.good for killing stuff.headshot wallabies don't argue.body shot ones leak lots of red stuff too.and if you line them up you can ventilate more than one at a time.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Fun fact

For the first few years the .45 Govt had a flat case base and internal center fire primer
    So it looked like a rimfire
    Name:  20220701_183921.jpg
Views: 137
Size:  1.22 MB

R for rifle 70 grains BP 405 grain bullet

Name:  20220701_184010.jpg
Views: 103
Size:  1.11 MB

C for carbine 55 grains BP 405 grain bullet

Name:  20220701_183954.jpg
Views: 120
Size:  1.60 MB