Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree10Likes
  • 2 Post By Micky Duck
  • 1 Post By shooternz
  • 1 Post By Jhon
  • 1 Post By Tommy
  • 2 Post By rossi.45
  • 1 Post By Jhon
  • 2 Post By omark

Thread: 45 Colt and Lee FCD

45 Colt and Lee FCD

Any one got strong views on using the Lee FCD with 45 Colt for a strong crimp vs using the standard crimping ability of the Lee Bullet Seating die? Before I rush out and pay $42 plus $12 shipping from Reloders?

I use the FCD on other Pistol and rifle calibres but do find it kinda hard on the case mouth where a firm crimp is required.

Application in this case is stout hunting loads in a tube mag.
    I know a lot but it seems less every day...

never seen the need for excessive crimp myself..... go with std die you already have ,IF you end up with projectile moving back into case...then and only then fork out extra $$$ for something else...pretty confident you wont need it.
    rossi.45 and Jhon like this.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Quote Originally Posted by Jhon View Post
    Any one got strong views on using the Lee FCD with 45 Colt for a strong crimp vs using the standard crimping ability of the Lee Bullet Seating die? Before I rush out and pay $42 plus $12 shipping from Reloders?

I use the FCD on other Pistol and rifle calibres but do find it kinda hard on the case mouth where a firm crimp is required.

Application in this case is stout hunting loads in a tube mag.
    Why do people persist with Lee Dies?
    Buy Lyman dies for Black powder cartridges you have no need to buy any extra add ons to make them work
    unless you want to crimp as a separate operation then buy a Lyman taperl crimp die beats the Lee FCD hands down.
    Tommy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by shooternz View Post
    Why do people persist with Lee Dies?
    Buy Lyman dies for Black powder cartridges you have no need to buy any extra add ons to make them work
    unless you want to crimp as a separate operation then buy a Lyman taperl crimp die beats the Lee FCD hands down.
    Lots of competent accurate ammo produced with Lee dies
    Micky Duck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Jhon View Post
    Lots of competent accurate ammo produced with Lee dies
    Seen lots of brass mangled by shittily machined and finished Lee dies too though
    shooternz likes this.
    Identify your target beyond all doubt

i use the standard LEE die set for .45LC without issues, have another set in .45/70 . . . not my first choice of make because they are obviously made at a price point but never had a problem or thought other makes made better ammo . . i dont do benchrest or LR with cast, strictly close to medium range so Good Enough
    Micky Duck and Jhon like this.
    without a picture . .. it never happened !

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    Seen lots of brass mangled by shittily machined and finished Lee dies too though
    The only brass I've seen mangled has been by shitty operation of the press and seen it done with Lee, Lyman, RCBS, Hirbady and Dillon dies. Managed a few dinged and crushed shells myself. Never thought it was the dies fault. Maybe if I was benchrest or long distance shooting I'd buy Redding or Forster. Any difference between finished product from the others is beyond my humble discernment. The goats, rabbits, hare, magpies and deer don't seem to notice either. I do like some rifle dies operation better than others e g the Hornady bullet seater. But still can't think how a Lee die destroys brass all other things being equal
    Micky Duck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    Yep it is a lottery with Lee; made to a price not quality, The only tools and dies I have ever had a problem with are Lee
    The one good thing they made was the hand priming tool but that would wear out the cam fairly often gave them away when I got a Dillion

Quote Originally Posted by shooternz View Post
    Yep it is a lottery with Lee; made to a price not quality, The only tools and dies I have ever had a problem with are Lee
    The one good thing they made was the hand priming tool but that would wear out the cam fairly often gave them away when I got a Dillion
    I agree that you get what you pay for. I must say however that Lee come out with a few gems. Their collet dies (older models) I could not be without and the most accurate powder thrower for ball powder is still the little lee plastic “perfect” which was around $30.
    They also make a range of dies that others don’t. I’ve yet to destroy one of their products����
    Micky Duck and Jhon like this.

Quote Originally Posted by omark View Post
    I agree that you get what you pay for. I must say however that Lee come out with a few gems. Their collet dies (older models) I could not be without and the most accurate powder thrower for ball powder is still the little lee plastic “perfect” which was around $30.
    They also make a range of dies that others don’t. I’ve yet to destroy one of their products����
    Plus 1 for the Lee Perfect Powder Measure. I have their Deluxe model too but apart from the drum being made of metal it adds nothing to the cheapie. I've had a bunch of different ones. Got rid of the Lyman55s and the Hornady, kept the Dillons on the 550B as they are hard to beat. Kept the RCBS as its almost as good as the Lee on ball powder and better on stick.