Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: 4895 vs 2206h

4895 vs 2206h

Hey guys,

From what I've read these powered are the same. Both are made in the same factory but one comes via the US and the other from Australia. Is that correct? I would assume you still need to work up pressures with the different powered.

Any one noticed perfor.ance difference?

Sent from my SM-G780G using Tapatalk

Hodgdon H4895 is exactly ADI2206H. IMR also do IMR4895. IMR is produced via Hodgdon and is listed as "equivalent" to ADI2206H but I wouldn't guarantee it to be exactly the same.
    Only differences between the ADI powder and the Hodgdon would be lot to to variation. But as always take care if changing even though they should be exactly the same.ADI HODGDON Equivalents.pdf

From the printout I have on my wall 2206h is the ADI equivalent of 4895

When people say 4895 there could be 3 4895s kicking around, not all necessarily exactly the same.
    H4895 - Hodgdon's version via ADI4895, the exactly the same powder.
    IMR4895 - IMR's recipe. May be the same/close. I believe now discontinued. Maybe ADI decided not needed given their own ADI2206H/H4895.
    4895 milsurp - probabaly rare to non existant now. Could be quite different to the modern versions.
    Take care,
    rewa likes this.

Imr isn't discontinued as it's for sale at gun city. Did they stop it recently?

IMR Enduron powder line was discontinued by Hodgdon back in 2022. IMR4895 (along with others) is one of their Enduron powders. Stock may well be available here us being at the bottom of the world.

IIRC there was a safety issue as well as those powders could not be manufactured in the States (which was pobably Hodgdons preference) due to the process not meeting USA safety standards, hence their manufacure in Canada.
    So, I could be wrong on all that, just dredging my memory cells.

So is it worth buying the imr as a substitute for adi? I'm starting to run low and am aware the US are limiting ammo and firearm exports. Adi was hard enough to source before then.

The first powder I ever bought for reloading was 4895, still use IMR4895 now. And having worked up my loads I will often change to the same load in 2206H with no noticeable difference.
    rewa and Rn-85 like this.

All of the Hodgdon extreme powders (basically all the good ones are all made by ADI.

So yes they are interchangeable.

You will still need to work up in your rifle but you can use other people's data to get a good idea of the weight range you should be looking to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Rn-85 View Post
    So is it worth buying the imr as a substitute for adi? I'm starting to run low and am aware the US are limiting ammo and firearm exports. Adi was hard enough to source before then.

Go with ADI. Although ADI2206H right now is hens' teeth. When powders become hard to get, (like virtually always now) the USA powders will be the hardest to source. Just a fact of our market size and distance to supplier.
    Over the recent years I have changed to entirely ADI powders. Dropped VVN140, Reloder 15, IMR3031 plus a few others and so on.

The recent Biden imposed 90 day export limit does not affect NZ, we are exempted.

Cheers, I just bought an lb

Quote Originally Posted by zimmer View Post
    Go with ADI. Although ADI2206H right now is hens' teeth. When powders become hard to get, (like virtually always now) the USA powders will be the hardest to source. Just a fact of our market size and distance to supplier.
    Over the recent years I have changed to entirely ADI powders. Dropped VVN140, Reloder 15, IMR3031 plus a few others and so on.

The recent Biden imposed 90 day export limit does not affect NZ, we are exempted.
    Hey,

I really value your input. I rolled the dice on the imr. Maybe I'll come out sweet, maybe I'll learn something.

Quote Originally Posted by zimmer View Post
    Zimmer....below is copy/paste from Reloading Directs home page. https://reloadingdirect.co.nz/

2nd Novemeber 2023

Note: The USA Bureau of Industry and Security is suspending the issuance of license for 0A500 series items. This means our shipments of brass and projectiles, gun parts are on hold TFN.

All respect to RD but I think NZ is on the exempt list. Nick over to the specific thread that did this issue to death.
    He may be talking about something more specific rather than the recent Biben 90 day directive.

A quick check on Hodgdons reloading site shows a bit of a difference between IMR & H 4895

https://www.hodgdonreloading.com/rel...c=true&type=54