Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By akaroa1
  • 2 Post By zimmer
  • 2 Post By grandpamac
  • 1 Post By akaroa1

Thread: 5.6x57 reloading

5.6x57 reloading

Looks like my single shot build has taken a turn and will now be a 5.6x57 instead of a 243.

Is anyone on here reloading 5.6x57? there doesnt seem to be heaps of info out there for them as they aren't that common over here.

Any help would be appreciated, especially around what powders you are running.

Cheers

Greetings @makka,
    Looks like you might be in for an interesting time. A little more info would be useful. Is the chamber the standard 5.6x57 with the thick neck and what is the barrel twist? Are you planning to use factory cases or form them yourself? Do you have 5.6x57 dies. I am sure that I have some info here so will get back to you on them.
    Regards Grandpamac.

Thanks @grandpamac,
    I have factory RWS brass with the thick neck and Redding 3 die set.
    I haven't measured the reamer yet but I'm assuming it's the correct one for the thick neck brass, it came in a package with the brass and dies.
    The barrel is a 24" 1:9 twist so probably looking at around 70gn projectiles or heavier if they will stabilise.

@makka interesting choice of caliber

What single shot action are you building on ?
    makka likes this.
    The Church of
    John Browning
    of the Later-Day Shooter

As you probably already know there is heaps of stuff on Google but a lot of the loads need subscription so you cannot see the actual powder charges..
    RWS brass seems to have a water capacity of 49cc. Here's a Quickload analysis using 2209 and a 69gr Sierra. I don't know if this is the best powder for the load but it appears in several Google hits. QL automatically comes up with a water capacity of 49cc. I've used a full case load to see what pressure comes up. The velocity roughly matches some of the Google loads.
    GPM should be along soon with better data.
    Name:  Screenshot 2023-11-04 091847.jpg
Views: 109
Size:  197.9 KB
    akaroa1 and makka like this.

Greetings @makka,
    I found some data on loaddata.com and have the article in my garage and will hunt it out tomorrow. From a quick scan it looks like AR2209 and AR2213SC are likely starters. There is a shoot on this afternoon and my garage is even more of a tip than usual due to having double glazing installed at the moment. I imagine the rifle is not shooting condition yet.
    Regards Grandpamac.
    akaroa1 and makka like this.

Quote Originally Posted by akaroa1 View Post
    @makka interesting choice of caliber

What single shot action are you building on ?
    Building on your favorite, 12ga baikal. I stumbled across the reamer/dies/brass at a price I couldn't knock back, found a brand new 1:9 223 barrel to use.

Thanks @zimmer and @grandpamac, yes it will be a while before the rifle will be finished, so no massive rush.
    I have 2213sc already so that will probably be my starter and 2209 shouldn't be too hard to get my hands on.

Quote Originally Posted by makka View Post
    Building on your favorite, 12ga baikal. I stumbled across the reamer/dies/brass at a price I couldn't knock back, found a brand new 1:9 223 barrel to use.

Thanks @zimmer and @grandpamac, yes it will be a while before the rifle will be finished, so no massive rush.
    I have 2213sc already so that will probably be my starter and 2209 shouldn't be too hard to get my hands on.
    Cool

( not my favorite. But fun to play with )
    makka likes this.
    The Church of
    John Browning
    of the Later-Day Shooter

I will do a build thread on when I get around to it, making a more suitable "rifle" stock for it as well