Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree87Likes

Thread: 6.5 PRC

Quote Originally Posted by outdoorlad View Post
    @Gusto who did the barrel for him?
    Sweet setup albeit bolt on wrong side

Banned
    So what I am gleaning is that I might as well stay with my 270 with 140's at 3100 vs a PRC 140's at 3000 with 22 inch barrels. For all the fuss a PRC is only as good as the geriatric 270 and probably wont kill quite as well, being a slightly smaller diameter.
    Shearer and Mooseman like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Moa Hunter View Post
    So what I am gleaning is that I might as well stay with my 270 with 140's at 3100 vs a PRC 140's at 3000 with 22 inch barrels. For all the fuss a PRC is only as good as the geriatric 270 and probably wont kill quite as well, being a slightly smaller diameter.
    Slightly snaller diameter yes
    Pound for pound much better bc availible in 6.5 would kill very well id have thought had an old carl gustuv 6.5x55 that was a great hitter with factory 139 rounds

Well apples with oranges if you compare a 153 Atip or 156 EH at 2900+ out of 6.5 PRC

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Greg View Post
    Well apples with oranges if you compare a 153 Atip or 156 EH at 2900+ out of 6.5 PRC
    Probably kill the deer just as dead with either the apple or the orange.
    Moa Hunter and Taupohunter like this.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

Quote Originally Posted by Shearer View Post
    Probably kill the deer just as dead with either the apple or the orange.
    Depends how far away it is, how hard the wind is blowing & how hard you throw it

Yeh it’s a valid point you make though. The difference between.270 and 6.5 is a fraction and pushing one harder then the other confuses things so I think very valid.
    I’d say and what interests me is that performance from an 18” in PRC, certainly a do it all cartridge for NZ conditions. For me anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Gkp likes this.
    Dan M

Depends how far away it is, how hard the wind is blowing & how hard you throw it
    True. Personally I'm not a very good thrower so would find either fruit equally as deadly at the distances I am confident at.
    Moa Hunter likes this.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

Banned
    What about the 150gr lrabs out of the 270 at 3000 + ?

I am sure that out past 500 the 6.5 would be flatter and retain more HP, but if someone wants to ethically shoot past 400 meters I think it is time for them to buy something bigger

The GAP Saum looks to be a noticeable step up going on what's written in this thread

The market is cluttered with useful calibers on the same spectrum. I would like a 6.5PRC but have a 270WSM and a 7mmSAUM. Same but different. Doesn't mean I won't buy a PRC though.

I'm just an age-ed slut
    Kiwi Greg, buzzman, GWH and 7 others like this.

I am sure that out past 500 the 6.5 would be flatter and retain more HP, but if someone wants to ethically shoot past 400 meters I think it is time for them to buy something bigger

The GAP Saum looks to be a noticeable step up going on what's written in this thread
    Well thats more apples for apples the 6.5 vld holds the same bc as the 150 accubond but at 130gns and i imagen if speeds the name of the game the prc would easily push 130s 3000+

If you cant tell I like BC

Either or dead deer .

Bigs not always better iv seen a few stags run with 162 7mm holes iv seen a few with 212 30cal holes both with mv of over 3000

Yep the .270 150 LRAB BC at 0.569 VS .264 153 A-Tip at 0.727 not even close Mate, Litzs BCs BTW

Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    The market is cluttered with useful calibers on the same spectrum. I would like a 6.5PRC but have a 270WSM and a 7mmSAUM. Same but different. Doesn't mean I won't buy a PRC though.

I'm just an age-ed slut
    Its always good playing with new stuff, it gets a bit mundane shooting the same sometimes, a change is good.
    Tahr, veitnamcam and R93 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mooseman View Post
    Its always good playing with new stuff, it gets a bit mundane shooting the same sometimes, a change is good.
    Yeah variety is the spice of life.

The 270 is and will remain an immensely usefull cartridge, only really hobbled (at least on paper) by slow twist rates and poor lr bullet selections.

They have almost identical h20 capacity, the prc isn't really any different than the 6.5/284 only it has actually found commercial success. Same story with the 6.5 creed. It's all about timing. More cartridges available can only be a good thing.

If I’ve got a do-it-all 7mm all I’d want is a do it all 6.5 to throw in the cupboard. Awesome round.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Dan M