Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
Like Tree121Likes

Thread: 6.5 prc loads

Quote Originally Posted by Kelton View Post
    Never actually tested superperformance and also not a prc but near enough my 6.5saum did 3080 with the 156 Berger I wouldn't hesitate to use the 26 with the heavier
    Getting 2990 with the 153s and R26 out of 22" with the PRC.

Sent from my S60 using Tapatalk
    Moa Hunter and Gkp like this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Quote Originally Posted by Moa Hunter View Post
    Not that I have tried RL26, but I found Superformance more 'blasty' if that's a word than 2213.
    Taupohunter yourself, GPK and 25 08imp have given me a good picture of what to expect versus RL26 thank you
    If using Hodgdon superprofrmance in the summer months at near max take care as it is prone to pressure spikes if your rounds are left at the range in the sun.

Sent from my CPH1903 using Tapatalk
    veitnamcam and Moa Hunter like this.

Quote Originally Posted by 25 /08 IMP View Post
    If using Hodgdon superprofrmance in the summer months at near max take care as it is prone to pressure spikes if your rounds are left at the range in the sun.

Sent from my CPH1903 using Tapatalk
    Found that out in a 260

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    Would you say those numbers would reverse with 150 class bullets?
    If I can ever get my hands on some ill tell you. The ammo crises has taught me to keep my options open. I'm always tinkering.
    there are only two things guns fear
    rust and politicians

Quote Originally Posted by Taupohunter View Post
    If I can ever get my hands on some ill tell you. The ammo crises has taught me to keep my options open. I'm always tinkering.
    153s are about the only thing still widely available arnt they? Probably due to being a bit long for all the creedmore owners.....that and the price....but shit they fly.
    Taupohunter likes this.

Gkp
    Name:  IMG_20200624_142402.jpg
Views: 586
Size:  3.84 MB
    This tikka prc will be for sale in 3 weeks time when I get home. Bare rifle with stug stock weighs a bit over 2.5 kg.
    Currently wearing a NF 20moa rail. Heaps of brass, pills, powder and dies will be available to the purchaser.

I’ve just finished my first 6.5 PRC barrel. I shot it out in a year. 900 rounds. Am currently doing some copper solid testing before I change it out, as they are the only Bullet that doesn’t blow apart. Running a 7 twist barrel. I’d advise not going any faster than a 8 twist for any hunting and match shooting situations. The 147eldm and 153 atip fly apart pretty easy. I have about half my barrel fire cracked. I was never nice to it. A lot of match 10 round strings running 147 and 156’s at between 3050-3150. Accuracy is still very good then the bullets don’t blow up.
    Moa Hunter and Gkp like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Cowboy06 View Post
    I’ve just finished my first 6.5 PRC barrel. I shot it out in a year. 900 rounds. Am currently doing some copper solid testing before I change it out, as they are the only Bullet that doesn’t blow apart. Running a 7 twist barrel. I’d advise not going any faster than a 8 twist for any hunting and match shooting situations. The 147eldm and 153 atip fly apart pretty easy. I have about half my barrel fire cracked. I was never nice to it. A lot of match 10 round strings running 147 and 156’s at between 3050-3150. Accuracy is still very good then the bullets don’t blow up.
    Have you tried the berger or sierra in it?
    What barrel are you running?
    Mines a 1 in 7 also (proof research). And running the 153atip also but still under 300 down the tube.
    I dont baby it but I cant get it too hot either as the mirage off the suppressor stops me.
    How far out do they go before blowing up ?
    nor-west likes this.

It’s a Kreiger 4 grove. Shot very well.
    I originally shot 150sierra mk. Had a little trouble with that Bullet. Then tried the 147 and was very accurate. They started blowing up very early on. Maybe after 200 rounds total down the barrel. Then used some 156 Berger EOL, they were very accurate and worked good for a few hundred rounds then they started blowing up. I ran Some 130 AR Hybrids never had a problem with those but could not get ballistics to line up properly. Ok to 1000 then wouldn’t group well. I ran the 156 and 147 out to 2km. Both were as good as my 338. Now using some of the solids while waiting for a reamer.
    The proof is a 4 groove. If you treat it nice it might last. The thicker jacket bullets are the way to go. Those 153 a tip will start stripping at some stage. I know some that have in 5 groove 1/7.5. These match bullets are just no good once the throat gets a little rough. I’m finding atleast 1 in 3 fly apart. Never the first shot, so should be ok in hunting rifles.
    Varies, some make 30m some a few hundred.
    veitnamcam and Moa Hunter like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Cowboy06 View Post
    It’s a Kreiger 4 grove. Shot very well.
    I originally shot 150sierra mk. Had a little trouble with that Bullet. Then tried the 147 and was very accurate. They started blowing up very early on. Maybe after 200 rounds total down the barrel. Then used some 156 Berger EOL, they were very accurate and worked good for a few hundred rounds then they started blowing up. I ran Some 130 AR Hybrids never had a problem with those but could not get ballistics to line up properly. Ok to 1000 then wouldn’t group well. I ran the 156 and 147 out to 2km. Both were as good as my 338. Now using some of the solids while waiting for a reamer.
    The proof is a 4 groove. If you treat it nice it might last. The thicker jacket bullets are the way to go. Those 153 a tip will start stripping at some stage. I know some that have in 5 groove 1/7.5. These match bullets are just no good once the throat gets a little rough. I’m finding atleast 1 in 3 fly apart. Never the first shot, so should be ok in hunting rifles.
    Varies, some make 30m some a few hundred.
    Thanks for that.
    Hopefully I've got a while yet before I have to worry about it but how do you think something like a LRAcubond or interbond would hold up when the throats roughed up?

Quote Originally Posted by outdoorlad View Post
    @Gkp how did the Hammer Bullets go?
    @outdoorlad 270 wsm, 117 grns, 3450 fps. They are devastating on deer. And accurate.

I use R26, and I expect that this performance would be within a hairs breadth of the 6.5PRC.

In hole (the little cut mark is a petal exiting - they fly around causing all sorts of mayhem)
    Name:  IMG_3216.jpg
Views: 387
Size:  135.3 KB

Out
    Name:  IMG_3218.jpg
Views: 343
Size:  104.2 KB

(It was an angled shot and this is the bullet path under the shoulder)
    Name:  IMG_3220.jpg
Views: 366
Size:  145.6 KB
    Last edited by Tahr; 20-04-2021 at 10:52 AM.

Gkp
    @Tahr haven't tried them yet. Will sell the 6.5s but pretty keen to get the 7mm 143 I think going in the 7bm
    Tahr likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Gkp View Post
    @Tahr haven't tried them yet. Will sell the 6.5s but pretty keen to get the 7mm 143 I think going in the 7bm
    @nor-west might buy them off you

Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    @outdoorlad 270 wsm, 117 grns, 3450 fps. They are devastating on deer. And accurate.

I use R26, and I expect that this performance would be within a hairs breadth of the 6.5PRC.

In hole (the little cut mark is a petal exiting - they fly around causing all sorts of mayhem)
    Attachment 165625

Out
    Attachment 165626

(It was an angled shot and this is the bullet path under the shoulder)
    Attachment 165627
    They look very similar to Barnes in performance....little blood/shocked meat.
    I thought the GMX would be similar to the Barnes but its not....more like the amax.....lots of mess.
    Tahr likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Gkp View Post
    @Gkp I’d take the 6.5 hammers off your hands.
    Shut up, get out & start pushing!