Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree145Likes

Thread: 6.5prc

Quote Originally Posted by Moa Hunter View Post
    Was his head obscured ?
    @Moa Hunter
    I’ve stopped shooting hinds as they are starting to fawn….. so to the freezer he goes

And this one too, 140 amaxed at 200 yds, his mate had the good sense to bolt into the bush or he would have joined him too.

Name:  4AD2B9BD-D885-4C69-918B-3E903FF2FC21.jpeg
Views: 612
Size:  127.7 KB
    sneeze, jakewire, Tahr and 1 others like this.
    Shut up, get out & start pushing!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by outdoorlad View Post
    @Moa Hunter
    I’ve stopped shooting hinds as they are starting to fawn….. so to the freezer he goes

And this one too, 140 amaxed at 200 yds, his mate had the good sense to bolt into the bush or he would have joined him too.

Attachment 211357
    I thought the whole advantage of these 6.5's over a 270 is super accuracy at distance - sub moa = 200 mtr head / neck shot and all meat saved?

@Moa Hunter
    I thought you were having a go about shooting a velvet stag…

Anyway, Free hand Head shooting is a last resort for me (missed more than I’ve made) Neck shooting in the bush is a favourite shot of mine when it presents itself, otherwise it’s the shoulder. The second one was in fading light and yes I could probably have drilled it in the neck as I had a good rest over my day bag but as I was a over an hour from the tent and a few hours up a valley from the truck, the money shot will do, there’s only so much my knees can take these days. There’s no shortage of deer around so I don’t need every scrap off them like 30yrs ago
    you’ll be pleased to know I shot 2 a couple of weeks ago that were able to be recovered whole, I may need to ask Santa for another freezer
    veitnamcam and Moa Hunter like this.
    Shut up, get out & start pushing!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by outdoorlad View Post
    @Moa Hunter
    I thought you were having a go about shooting a velvet stag…

Anyway, Free hand Head shooting is a last resort for me (missed more than I’ve made) Neck shooting in the bush is a favourite shot of mine when it presents itself, otherwise it’s the shoulder. The second one was in fading light and yes I could probably have drilled it in the neck as I had a good rest over my day bag but as I was a over an hour from the tent and a few hours up a valley from the truck, the money shot will do, there’s only so much my knees can take these days. There’s no shortage of deer around so I don’t need every scrap off them like 30yrs ago
    you’ll be pleased to know I shot 2 a couple of weeks ago that were able to be recovered whole, I may need to ask Santa for another freezer
    No, not worried about shooting those small rising two year stags, all power to you. I would of shot them myself, both runts that will never be a trophy.
    I give away more than I keep, but I still like to bring out everything; otherwise how can I justify taking a life ? I am upset by young strong (should be) guys leaving half or more of the meat on the hill. Really it is hard to justify recreational hunting over commercial if rec hunters leave bodies laying around with one leg cut off as we see nowadays. Oh to be 30 again with all the deer around we see now !
    Seventenths and keneff like this.

Hi All If you want a real im provement in 6.5 cal the best one in my opinion is a 6.5-270wsm (they call it a 6.5-300 wsm as same case you cant use 7mm wsm cases as different lenght)
    Dies are readily available and the brass is easy to make simply run a 270WSM case in the full length resizer and its done i dont do anything else with sub moa results...I use a 28in barrel and get 3300FPS with labrader with a 147 ELD-M my load is 70 gr RE33 FED 215 only use norma lapua or peterson brass not winchester or hornady as too soft
    Moa Hunter likes this.

28" barrel? No thanks.

Id be interested to see what performance you'd get in a 20"

Hornady say 57.4gr is the max with H1000 and the 147gr ELD-M, for around 3000fps from a 26" barrel. Hodgdon say 56.5gr for 2830 from a 24". Then with the 153gr A-Tip, only 55gr for 2800.

There is no speed without pressure so if some of you are getting 3k with heavier bullets or with shorter barrels, I suspect you might be running into higher pressures than the back of the brass indicates.

I'm getting 3000 from a 26" using AR2225. I'm 0.7gr over "max" for 50fps less than max is supposed to give - so I'm happy it's not being redlined. Shoots bloody well too...

Name:  20221207_150005.jpg
Views: 485
Size:  205.8 KB
    jakewire, shift14 and dannyb like this.
    Resident 6.5 Grendel aficionado.

Anybody using superformance in their 6.5 prc? I'm sure I saw a post a while ago but can't find it.

DBD
    Quote Originally Posted by Rated M for Magnum View Post
    Anybody using superformance in their 6.5 prc? I'm sure I saw a post a while ago but can't find it.
    Page 3, 4th post
    Rated M for Magnum likes this.
    It takes 20 barrels of water to make 1 barrel of beer...

Quote Originally Posted by DBD View Post
    Page 3, 4th post
    Thanks @DBD I can't have looked very hard

Quote Originally Posted by Doon View Post
    My 24 " PRC does just over 3k with 58.1 gn of 2217 140 eldm , my 20" does 2950 with 56.5 of superperformance 143 eldx.
    Both rifles speed up after about 150 down the pipe.
    With 56.4gn of SP and a 130gn sst was at just on 3k with the 20".
    Hi @Doon what brass are you using in your PRC? And where did you find data to start your load dev with?

DBD
    I thinking to joint the prc club but not 100% on it yet. The current favourite shooter is a 22" 6.5 creedmoor which has done everything Ive asked for with 143's @ 2700fps. My ideal outcome will be to have a 20" or 22" that can do 153gr or 156gr @ 2950fps + without to much fuss. Is it realistic or just a dream?
    It takes 20 barrels of water to make 1 barrel of beer...

Quote Originally Posted by Rated M for Magnum View Post
    Hi @Doon what brass are you using in your PRC? And where did you find data to start your load dev with?
    In my 20" tikka I am using hornady brass.
    I didnt have any published load data for superperformance but went on another members load.
    I started at 55.6 gn in .2 inrcrements to 57.2.
    From looking at my notes I loaded 129sst and 140sst.
    I settled on 56.6 which gave me 2950 fps with the 140 sst and the same load with the 129sst produced just over 3000 fps.
    The same load gave me 2950 with the 143 eldx, most groups were about 1/2 moa.
    At 57 .2 of SP I got ejector swipe and heavy bolt lift, pressure can rise very quickly with this powder so be carefull especially on hot days.
    Load development was over a magnetospeed v3

Quote Originally Posted by Doon View Post
    In my 20" tikka I am using hornady brass.
    I didnt have any published load data for superperformance but went on another members load.
    I started at 55.6 gn in .2 inrcrements to 57.2.
    From looking at my notes I loaded 129sst and 140sst.
    I settled on 56.6 which gave me 2950 fps with the 140 sst and the same load with the 129sst produced just over 3000 fps.
    The same load gave me 2950 with the 143 eldx, most groups were about 1/2 moa.
    At 57 .2 of SP I got ejector swipe and heavy bolt lift, pressure can rise very quickly with this powder so be carefull especially on hot days.
    Load development was over a magnetospeed v3
    Thanks for that @Doon load data for Superformance is patchy at best which is a shame because it is such a good powder. I haven't got the rifle yet but once I do I'll be mucking around with some Superformance but haven't decided on projectile yet

Alright, I've joined the club. Looking forward to playing with a new caliber. Factory ammo to start so I can get used to it and build up some brass, reloading later.
    Eastern Wander, Bigash and DBD like this.