Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: 6.5x55 and IMR4895

6.5x55 and IMR4895

Does anyone have any good loads using this Powder. I have a shit load of it and a mate wants some loads done for him.

We would be looking for something using 120 gr Ballistic Tips out of a Tikka T3 so it is not an old Huskie or CG.

All my load manuals give pretty anaemic loads and we want something a bit quicker so any help would be appreciated

Have a look at Reloaders Nest on Google.

Let us know how you get on. I have been loading for an old swedish 6.5 with a 29" barrel and getting great results with ADI 2217. Now two mates want me to try and get the same velocitys from their 6.5s with 24" barrels Not happening at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by sniper80 View Post
    Let us know how you get on. I have been loading for an old swedish 6.5 with a 29" barrel and getting great results with ADI 2217. Now two mates want me to try and get the same velocitys from their 6.5s with 24" barrels Not happening at the moment.
    The mind boggles why some ppl seem so obsessed with velocity...
    "I do not wish to be a pawn or canon fodder on the whims of MY Government"

Quote Originally Posted by steven View Post
    The mind boggles why some ppl seem so obsessed with velocity...
    I know....I can't get it thru to them that they are better off with a accurate load than a fast load....especially with the 140g Amax I'm using.

I think it might have something to do with the fact a 50yr + rifle is performing better than their new finn built ones
    Otay1000 likes this.

I have some load data for 6.5x55 that I developed myself willing to share it providing that the loads are worked up to in the rifles they are all accuracy loads that came from my own load testing from when I had my CG with 24" barrel some of them are chronied and some are not.
    RULE 4: IDENTIFY YOUR TARGET BEYOND ALL DOUBT

To be a Human is to be an Alien, ask the animals, We invade this world and we are killing it, we are destroying the earth and nobody gives a fuck except for the animals

So, what's wrong with fast and accurate? Albeit that you shouldn't push the 96 actions too hard.

Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    So, what's wrong with fast and accurate? Albeit that you shouldn't push the 96 actions too hard.
    It is odd that people say that and I do believe what you are saying but what I do not get is stiga arms used to build rifles on the m96 action in 30-06, 270, 308 etc so they must be able to take some pressure if they don't blow up when chambered in those calibers I mentioned. Alot of 6.5x55 data is very conservative due to the fact there are 6.5x55's built on krag actions which are weak actions. When i first started loading for the swede I used to have alot of problems with sooty cases and ended up with a gas blow back in the face once due to a load not giving enough pressure to get the case to seal against the chamber gave me a hell of a fright. Allof the data I have from my load development is all based on ADI 2208 and 2209 and had some real good success with 85(sierra HP), 100 (sierra HP), 120 (Nosler BT) and 155RN (lapua) bullets (which is what I have accuracy data for) but could never ever get the 140 to shoot accurately. I would take accuracy over velocity any day as the deer won't know what speed the bullet hit them at.
    steven likes this.

To be a Human is to be an Alien, ask the animals, We invade this world and we are killing it, we are destroying the earth and nobody gives a fuck except for the animals

I think the book says 2,700fps or close enough with 37.5gr win 760. My loads have been 37 and all shot pretty nice. Read that you can load higher in a modern 6.5 but mines a cg. Still shots good though. Using 120's I think with that load. Maybe 140's I would have to check.
    VIVA LA HOWA

Actually I will share the data I have compiled for the CG I used to ahve as it may be of help to some here and they were my accuracy loads: Disclaimer: please please please work up to the loads do not just go straight to the loads I have shared I can not stress that enough and please cross check everything in your manuals.

155grRN Lapua: PMC & Norma brass and PMC Primers
    O.A.L 3.0"
    ADI AR2209 (Hodgdon 4350)
    Powder Weight: 41.0grains
    Velocity: 2400FPS (chronographed)

120gr Nosler ballistic tip: Winchester Brass & PMC Primer
    O.A.L 3.120”
    ADI AR2208( Hodgdon Varget)
    Powder Weight: 39.4grains
    Not chronographed but accurate load
    CAUTION: THIS IS AN ABOVE MAXIMUM LOAD YOU MUST WORK UP TO IT!!!!!!!!!

100 Gr Sierra HP: Winchester brass & PMC primers
    O.A.L:2.830"
    A DI AR2209(Hodgdon 4350)
    Powder Weight:48.0grains
    Unchronographed extremely accurate well under 1”

85Gr Sierra HP: : Winchester brass & PMC Primers
    O.A.L:2.785" (Seat first 6.5mm into case neck)
    ADI AR2208 (Hodgdon Varget)
    Powder Weight:42.5grains
    Not Chronographed but extremely tight grouping

I load 47 gns of N560 behind the 140 sst and 51 of 2213sc behind the speer 120. Rifle is a Custom Mauser made in the Norma factory on a 96 action.

Quote Originally Posted by nor-west View Post
    I load 47 of N560 behind the 140 sst and 51 of 2213sc behind the speer 120. Rifle is a Custom Mauser made in the Norma factory on a 96 action.
    You using a mustard spoon NW? I will send you my shovel

Nah, sounds about right for an antique. I put a bit more into my S&L.

Caretaker - Gone But Not Forgotten jakewire's Avatar
    Interesting Hunter308, the load your using for the 100gr I'm using for the 120gr Bt and 123gr amax, comparator length
    for the BT 2.620 ,a little less at 2.530 for the amax with Lapua brass for the amax and Federal for the BT
    Both are travelling 2900 plus in the summer and accurate with no pressure signs.
    I imagine your 100 grainers will be humming.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Yeah Jake those 100 grainers were like lasers and so were the 85 grainers it was crazy how my CG would not shoot 140's at all but everything else you fed regarding bullets weights the damn thing loved them. Those 100 grain hollow points would have made bloody good sika and fallow loads as well as long range bunny loads.

Looking at the listed velocities I have found I will use the 4895 in the 222 and stick with the AR2209 and my load of 46.5 gr which I use in the 260 and see how we go. This is devastatingly accurate with the 120 gr so he has some of the new 127 gr Ballistic tips so will work up from 44 gr and we should be right. Accuracy is what we are after but if we can keep the velocity above 2700 it will work better out at 300 m on those tahr.