Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By Kelton
  • 1 Post By Micky Duck
  • 1 Post By Kelton
  • 1 Post By winaa
  • 1 Post By Jhon
  • 1 Post By LBD

Thread: 7/8 x 14 plastic threaded rod

7/8 x 14 plastic threaded rod

I have an idea in mind to "winterise" my press. I want to thread in some lengths of nylon rod on my turret to prevent the threads from rusting. I know I can slather it in grease and oil but I think the inserts would be a tidy finish and easy to remove when I crank up the machine again.

Anyone know where I can get it?

Do you think its a dumb idea?

Iv got an old die I spray with oil and leave in their as mine were going very rusty spray my dies when putting them away now to
    johnd likes this.

Yeah I need 7 though
    Like you, I have taken out the die/s, cleaned and oiled them and put them in with silca packs

ice cream container filled with 2stroke fuel...drop the dies in,leave for awhile and take back out....job done. it sure cleans out the crap.
    johnd likes this.

https://www.marine-deals.co.nz/bungs...hoCE_sQAvD_BwE

This could work well @johnd push it in flip the leaver faster than unwinding 7 lots of rod ban of my life changing dies around
    johnd likes this.

Most plastic plugs or threaded tube will be BSP.
    You could go to a local Engineering shop and get them make you one up out of 1inch or 1 1/8 PVC hex if they have some.
    Just be aware that you will still need to put some lube on the threads to keep moisture off the press threads.
    johnd likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by johnd View Post
    I have an idea in mind to "winterise" my press. I want to thread in some lengths of nylon rod on my turret to prevent the threads from rusting. I know I can slather it in grease and oil but I think the inserts would be a tidy finish and easy to remove when I crank up the machine again.

You don't reload during winter?
    7mmwsm likes this.
    I know a lot but it seems less every day...

Quote Originally Posted by Jhon View Post
    You don't reload during winter?
    Not really mate, I have enough shit loaded up and unless I buy a new rifle ( always possible) theres no developemnet work to do. Its not a biggie to put all the dies back in........ if I go to something like delrin rod threaded there wont even be much clean up.
    With the big temp swings over winter and the mere attraction of moisture to metal I am just wanting to get ahead of possible issues. Usually the dies stay in the toolhead, but this year I thought I would store them betterer. So came up with an idea to protect the thread holes.

LBD
    Quote Originally Posted by johnd View Post

I agree totally with your last thought.....

Get a can of Tectyl 506 and give it a wee spray... if you want tidy then go to your local hydraulic hose shop and get a couple of plastic plugs to keep dirt out of hydraulic hoses or fittings... un o-ring -10, I think is 7/8 unf.
    johnd likes this.

Kinda like the last thought a bumblebee has