Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: 7mm Rem Mag Reloading troubles...

Dev
    Yea about 12-15 rounds and could see copper on lands at muzzle end. Been using borerech eliminator. Will see how next test goes, will consider lapping with some autosol, just a touch on patches/jag? The 50-60 rounds of factory ammo never had copper show up but plenty with the hand loads...

I had a similar experience with edlx in a 270 although I didn't check till around 100 rounds when the accuracy started to drop off.
    gave the barrel a solid copper clean and went straight back to under .5 moa groups @100yds
    Micky Duck likes this.

I would have said 69.5-70.5 is where you look to have the most consistent grouping, if you overlaid targets from that charge range it looks like they would largely fall in same sort of places
    keengunNic and Dev like this.

Rwt
    What scales are you using? Digital or beam? My Lee digital scales have a habbit of being off my up too 2 grains even after being calibrated which could cause a few grouping issues

Dev
    Using the lee beam scales
    Micky Duck likes this.

Welcome to my world. In short to solve your problem get rid of anything with hornady written on it. But seriously been down this road with my 7mm. Sst, eld-x/m same results as you. Had barrel checked as well. After chasing my tail for hundreds of rounds the tmks came out so tried them. 1.5" groups at best became .5". Berger 168 classic even better. Nosler 150 bt's also good. You will find the fouling will stop also. I think hornady use very soft jacktets as my other rifle fouls bad with them. 180eld-m do shoot but 2225 is better for them. They still foul though. Gunslik and a nylon brush work. Don't waste time or money on anything until you try other projectiles as a lot of rifles struggle with the new hornadys. Good luck. Might have some tmk's left. Pm me and I can send you some to try
    25/08IMP and Dev like this.

Dev
    Yep starting to feel I’m chasing my tail for sure, get better results with some factory ammo...
    I have all ready loaded up 12 more eld-x to try with low expectations from them... even if they do shoot well sounds like the quick copper fouling is common with them which am not keen on.
    So will try some other projectiles, will pm.
    Cheers

where are you based dev??

My 7mmsaum didn't Ike the ELD-X but loved Berger 168

Sent from my SM-P605 using Tapatalk

Dev
    I’m in chch

Quote Originally Posted by Dev View Post
    I’m in chch
    i can give you some hornady factory loads and some reloads to try, just bring the empty cases back
    Micky Duck, Dev and dannyb like this.

Not having a dig at hornady products or saying they are not good in case someone thought i was. I have used and still use their products. My point is that my rifles foul with them, but they are chrome moly which isn't as common now and most people with stainless barrels haven't had that problem I've talked to. The eld line seems to be either a shooter or not depending on the rifle. Considering the results I had and problems are very similar to yours that's where I'd start. The Tmk is similar to the amax and I wonder if the new game changer will be similar to the eld-x? 150 bt's are often the go to for the 7mm mag. Try something other than hornady , like winchester, federal etc and see how you go

Do you have the factory Tikka rings? If so junk them. They will not hold on the bigger calibers. Had similar problems with a customers braked 300WM and was pulling hair out trying to work it out.
    Then looked at the recoil pin in the ring - was working its way out of the back of the ring! I don't trust them at/above 308 level of recoil.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Dev
    Nah using Talley rings.
    Tried some more loads today, had a clean as barrel so fired 2 factory load sst which grouped then tried handloads which sprayed everywhere.. will change projectile and start again...

Dev
    Once I get some more loaded up with different projectiles, is it worth doing a ladder test or just best to load them up in batches of 3 in .5 increments and see what ones group?