Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: 7mm08 162 gr Eld-M Updates 2024

7mm08 162 gr Eld-M Updates 2024

Hi guys. I've been looking through the old threads and I'm wondering if anyone is still using the 162's and what recipes you found best.
    I've been using for a while now, and like them a lot, but thought I might tinker a bit.
    Using a Tikka 7mm08, 20inch barrel and
    running a long action but can convert to short.
    At the moment loaded with 40gr of 2208.
    2507 FPS.

Found earlier a velocity node around 41.5 grains for the long action and 41 grains in short action seated at magazine length which I might explore. ES of 7 and SD of 5.
    They just didn't group well but were getting roughly 2600 FPS.

So my question is if using a long action or short for that matter, what seating depths are you using (COAL)? In the short action loading to magazine length or in the Long action what length. I might play around to see if they group.

Cheers

I used to load them at mag length with the short magazine. 2.785 inches or thereabouts I think, shot well. 40.5 grains of 2208 in federal cases, 2620 fps. Same barrel length as you too.

Been wondering about the ELD-X. Do they perform similarly to the M’s?

Superformance is my go to for 7mm08 with the 162 eldm, i run them at 2.180 BTO measurement. Can get some pretty impressive performance speed wise from the small 08 case & i found accuracy over a broad range of powder charges. Cant really get yourself in any trouble with it as you wont be able to get enough in the case to go overpressure without running a super compressed load. My barrel is short but you should see up over 2700 without too much fuss with a 20".
    Gkp and caberslash like this.

T3 7/08 - long action mag/bolt stop.

I run the 162gr Amax at 2.905"
    lau lau likes this.

Exact same rifle configuration as you. 41gn 2208 and seated at 75mm COL. Stupidly accurate and 2630fps. Wouldn't shot well at shorter lengths in my rifle. Seems to flatten deer very well. Pretty good all-rounder.

Caretaker
    Quote Originally Posted by thatguy View Post
    No they don’t
    Gkp and SPEARONZ like this.
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

The general rule is the x is for exit as they are harder and make an exit hole where the m will generally make a larger wound channel and dump all its energy into the animal but not exit as they don't have the same controlled expansion of the x
    Gkp likes this.
    Konus binoculars " The power to imagine"

At 7mm08 velocity I've been finding the eldm have been generally exiting when impact velocity is around 2200fps (~300m). Don't want to jinx myself but so far have had 100% bang flops with reds and sika.
    199p likes this.

I’m getting a 7-08 built as we speak and am very much looking forward to working up a load for it with the eldm, wish it would hurry up and arrive. Anyhow I found some interesting stuff on an American form, can’t remember which one, that suggested that the eldm is pretty much identical to the old amax. They had bullets sliced down the middle, lead removed and jackets measured with calipers. Very interesting. As far as the Eldx goes I’ve used them in a 270wsm at higher velocity, though not alot higher due to it being 18 inch, and I would put them along side an sst. Very undesirable. (That should cause a stir)
    Gkp likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by 199p View Post
    The general rule is the x is for exit as they are harder and make an exit hole where the m will generally make a larger wound channel and dump all its energy into the animal but not exit as they don't have the same controlled expansion of the x
    Appreciate this explanation. Do they stabilise ok in short barrels (16.5”) and standard twist?

Appreciate this explanation. Do they stabilise ok in short barrels (16.5”) and standard twist?
    Havnt had one that short myself man thing craigc has a very short 284win running them

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk
    Konus binoculars " The power to imagine"

They will stabilise fine as long as the twist is right you can move down a twist rate with extra velocity (sometimes) but seldomly they won’t stabilise in the correct twist rate even driven slow ie short barrel

Quote Originally Posted by Kelton View Post
    They will stabilise fine as long as the twist is right you can move down a twist rate with extra velocity (sometimes) but seldomly they won’t stabilise in the correct twist rate even driven slow ie short barrel
    Will need to try in my 1in9.5 twist and short barrel

Cheers guys for the info. I'll have a look at what I can achieve with some more grains and seating depth. A little extra speed would be nice. Nice all round cartridge out to 500. Again thanks for your imput.