Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: 7mm08 - Hornady 11 th edition 150 ELD-X Superformance Load data

7mm08 - Hornady 11 th edition 150 ELD-X Superformance Load data

Since you lot turned me onto this powder (and made me buy some!), I thought I'd share this:

Name:  Screenshot_20230115_213907_Hornady Reloading.jpg
Views: 1704
Size:  362.7 KB
    Name:  Screenshot_20230115_213937_Hornady Reloading.jpg
Views: 1205
Size:  337.6 KB

For anyone wondering, it's not a compressed load.

Interesting to see that Hornady rates Superformance as being a lot faster burning than other manufacturers charts.

Name:  Screenshot_20230115_214836_Hornady Reloading.jpg
Views: 1023
Size:  633.4 KB

I know there were a few complaints about the lack of Superformance data when the powder first came out, leading to it not being the best seller and hence being rather available on shelves for an acceptable price.

Given that Hornady is finally putting data put for it (and the claimed performance!), this may not be the case for much longer.

Something to keep in mind, the powder is made at the same factory (St.Marks) which does 6.5 StaBall.
    rupert and Micky Duck like this.

Greetings,
    I find the difference for load data between WW760 and H414 concerning as these are the same powder. Most published load data is a mixture of old and new, often developed using different pressure testing systems. The Hodgdon data shows this but not many of the others do. Always good to check several sources of data.
    GPM.
    matagouri and Longrun like this.

Interesting they list the mono metal gmx and CX at the same loads as cup and core.
    I was under the impression that they generally were a lot tougher to get moving and as such pressures were a bit higher for the same.weight

Yeah I haven't been able to find any Superformance data for 6.5 PRC but a few people on here are using it. I'm about to dabble with it in that case as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Rated M for Magnum View Post
    Yeah I haven't been able to find any Superformance data for 6.5 PRC but a few people on here are using it. I'm about to dabble with it in that case as well.
    I use it in a few cal that there is no data for.

Sent from my CPH2145 using Tapatalk

It's a good powder but it looks like the Staball 6,5 is another one to try, I have some and seems to get good velocity and is accurate in my 30 06. It has many uses in numerous cartridges. Burn rate similar to AR 2209/H4350.
    On the burn rate charts I have Superformance sits right with AR 2213 SC.

Greetings,
    Superformance gives great results in a narrow range of cartridges. Superformance is not listed for the 7mm-08 by the manufacturer Hodgdons and my guess is that it is too slow for the case capacity. Superformance cartridges are loaded with a range of Superformance powders but only one is offered in canister grade to the public. It would pay to read the Hodgdons powder description.
    Regards Grandpamac.

Quote Originally Posted by grandpamac View Post
    Greetings,
    Superformance gives great results in a narrow range of cartridges. Superformance is not listed for the 7mm-08 by the manufacturer Hodgdons and my guess is that it is too slow for the case capacity. Superformance cartridges are loaded with a range of Superformance powders but only one is offered in canister grade to the public. It would pay to read the Hodgdons powder description.
    Regards Grandpamac.
    If it's too slow for 7mm08, why are Hornady providing data for it (and showing it provides the highest potential velocity)?

Burn rate charts are over-rated.

Hornady have access to equipment (most importantly, pressure testing apparatus) that no handloader has access to. So I'd be inclined to trust them.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by csmiffy View Post
    Interesting they list the mono metal gmx and CX at the same loads as cup and core.
    I was under the impression that they generally were a lot tougher to get moving and as such pressures were a bit higher for the same.weight
    Think the grooves etc can help significantly to deal with this and many monotlithic bullets are now not limited by earlier pressure issues.

Quote Originally Posted by caberslash View Post
    If it's too slow for 7mm08, why are Hornady providing data for it (and showing it provides the highest potential velocity)?

Burn rate charts are over-rated.

Hornady have access to equipment (most importantly, pressure testing apparatus) that no handloader has access to. So I'd be inclined to trust them.
    I used a lot of R17 through my 7-08 with great success and velocity and that is a good margin slower burning than Superformance. So I doubt Superformance is too slow for 7-08.
    Micky Duck and caberslash like this.
    Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing, and right-doing, there is a field. I will meet you there.
    - Rumi

Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    I used a lot of R17 through my 7-08 with great success and velocity and that is a good margin slower burning than Superformance. So I doubt Superformance is too slow for 7-08.
    The Hornady data shows Superformance needing three more grains to reach the same velocity as Reloder 17 so too me Superformance is significantly slower than R17 at least in this cartridge. The chronograph should settle it.
    GPM.

The Hornady data shows Superformance needing three more grains to reach the same velocity as Reloder 17 so too me Superformance is significantly slower than R17 at least in this cartridge. The chronograph should settle it.
    GPM.
    I was just going by the burn rate charts. R17 is very under rated for 7-08.
    caberslash likes this.
    Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing, and right-doing, there is a field. I will meet you there.
    - Rumi

I'm running RL16 with 150 ELDx in my 22in bbl 7-08, getting 2750fps. Tight wee groups. Happy with that. Slower powders can work well, especially with heavier pills.
    Tahr and caberslash like this.

Greetings all,
    Due to its being a little hot to venture outside at the moment (yes I know I was bitching about the rain only a few days ago) I looked up the Hodgdons data for Superformance and other roughly similar powders for the 143 grain ELDX in the 6.5 Creedmoor as some I know are using the combo. This is all recent data with pressures in PSI so a good comparison. It turned out that Superformance was very close in speed to IMR4831, significantly faster than either AR2209/ H4350 or IMR4350 and a little slower than AR2213SC/ H4831. This is basically what I have read elsewhere. I think that this blows the powder burning rate chart out of the water, at least for these two cartridges. @caberslash I would love to see some chronographed velocities when you get that far.
    Regards Grandpamac,
    caberslash likes this.

Greetings all,
    Due to its being a little hot to venture outside at the moment (yes I know I was bitching about the rain only a few days ago) I looked up the Hodgdons data for Superformance and other roughly similar powders for the 143 grain ELDX in the 6.5 Creedmoor as some I know are using the combo. This is all recent data with pressures in PSI so a good comparison. It turned out that Superformance was very close in speed to IMR4831, significantly faster than either AR2209/ H4350 or IMR4350 and a little slower than AR2213SC/ H4831. This is basically what I have read elsewhere. I think that this blows the powder burning rate chart out of the water, at least for these two cartridges. @caberslash I would love to see some chronographed velocities when you get that far.
    Regards Grandpamac,
    You would like this burn rate chart though...
    'cos it validates your findings (above)

This is copied from Hodgdons own burn rate chart:

116 ALLIANT RELODER 15.5
    117 ALLIANT POWER PRO 2000-MR 118 HODGDON LEVEREVOLUTION 119 HODGDON H380
    120 RAMSHOT BIG GAME
    121 VIHTAVUORI N150
    122 ALLIANT POWER PRO 4000-MR 123 WINCHESTER 760
    124 NORMA URP
    125 VIHTAVUORI N550
    126 ACCURATE 2700
    127 IMR 4350
    128 IMR 4451
    129 ALLIANT RELODER 16
    130 HODGDON H4350
    131 ALLIANT RELODER 17
    132 ACCURATE 4350
    133 NORMA 204
    134 HODGDON HYBRID 100V
    135 WINCHESTER StaBALL 6.5
    136 ALLIANT RELODER 19
    137 IMR 4831
    138 RAMSHOT HUNTER
    139 VIHTAVUORI N160
    140 VIHTAVUORI N555
    141 NORMA 205
    142 HODGDON H4831 & H4831SC
    143 VIHTAVUORI N560
    144 HODGDON SUPERFORMANCE
    145 IMR 4955
    146 NORMA MRP
    147 ALLIANT RELODER 22
    148 NORMA MRP2
    149 ALLIANT RELODER 23
    150 VIHTAVUORI N165
    - Rumi