Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree47Likes

Thread: 7mm08 vs 284win

I turned my 7-08 into a .284 Win and it is my go to rifle. As others say, it’s not worth it for your needs. Bullets construction is key in this at lower velocities and you have that sussed with ELD-M.
    You don’t say what make your rifle is, but another consideration is action length. A short action will not allow .284 bullets to be seated out far and will be limiting. T3s are perfect in this respect, being all the same length, but a long action bolt stop and magazine are also required. Enjoy if you do it.
    The member formally known as Spitfire

If you get good accuracy at that speed no need to change, no guarantees you will hit an accuracy node in 284 much higher than where you are at. That is a good speed for the projectile you are running to perform well within all ranges you want to shoot at
    GWH likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by 25/08IMP View Post
    I've done this exercise many times in my App and also compared it to my 6.5 Creedmoor, I've come to the conclusion that unless i can push a 162 weight pill at 2950 -3000fps I'm gaining nothing over my 143 6.5 doing 2816 fps
    So better to stick with your 7-08 or go SAUM

Sent from my CPH2145 using Tapatalk
    I've shot a few animals at approx 500m range with both the 143 leaving at 2750 and the 162's leaving at 2775. The 162s definately hit harder. Never lost an animal with either but the 162 definately seem to out them down a bit quicker
    stagstalker likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by flock View Post
    Any reloading 7mm08 AK improved, got a barrrel and dies but waiting for 7mm projectiles to reasonably priced. Believe the 162 eldm shoot well, what sort of speeds? Heard some rediculous figures, but the reloading programs and books say way less.
    @flock i AI'd my 7mm08 and had it throated long for 160-180gr projectiles. It was a Tikka so i had plenty of room available with the LA mag and bolt stop. It allowed about 2 grains more capacity and on average i was getting 150fps increase over the standard case.
    I switched over to 284win and get the same speeds but without the need to fireform cases.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Cheers all, you have reinforced what I suspected. Too much time on the internet not enough time hunting.

Rifle is a T3 with long bolt stop and mag. COAL is 75mm with the ELD-M and shoots better than I can. Wearing a vx5hd I have repeatedly shot subMOA groups out to 300m and plinked rocks out to 600yrds comfortably.

Interestingly when I was running 139gr projectiles it never seemed to drop animals as well as the short 308 at close range. Since moving to the ELDM I've shot deer out to 400yrds and everything has been flattened on the spot! They definitely thump pretty good!
    Shearer and Micky Duck like this.

GWH
    Quote Originally Posted by Hunty1 View Post
    Cheers all, you have reinforced what I suspected. Too much time on the internet not enough time hunting.

Rifle is a T3 with long bolt stop and mag. COAL is 75mm with the ELD-M and shoots better than I can. Wearing a vx5hd I have repeatedly shot subMOA groups out to 300m and plinked rocks out to 600yrds comfortably.

Interestingly when I was running 139gr projectiles it never seemed to drop animals as well as the short 308 at close range. Since moving to the ELDM I've shot deer out to 400yrds and everything has been flattened on the spot! They definitely thump pretty good!
    Oh but how could you possibly be killing deer with match bullets

In contrast to what many will say on Yankee forums and FB groups, 162 eld-m and the Amax before them have awesome terminal performance on game particularly at the lower impact velocities you get at distance.

Sounds like you current rifle/scope/ammo combo is setup mint. Keep up the practice at distance, even on windy days, learn the drift and gain confidence in correcting for it and that will all help your hunting shots at 500 yards alot more than reaming to 284.

FYI, my 17" T3 284 is pushing 162 Amax at 2700 so not really a lot different to your LA 20" 708.

I purchased the rifle already chopped to 17" and fitted with the long mag and bolt stop but was still a 7mm08, I had gunworks ream it to 284.

It's a pretty good all rounder I must say, but my 22" 7Saum superceeds it, it pushes the same bullet at 3,050 and is much lighter to carry with it's Stug stock and everything fluted and lightened.
    Hunty1, Shearer and 25/08IMP like this.

Turn it into a 284

Go 284... 26 inch barrel. Or 280 AI.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
    Ubique.
    Once divided, always conquered.

I just have a old bergara scout rechambered to 284, best thing about it is still has the 22inch barrel but is still short enough with a suppressor. Love it. 284 absolutely humms.
    Only problem with it now is brass is getting expensive and no off the shelf ammo.
    Cursed be the ground for our sake. Both thorns and thistles it shall bring forth for us. For out of the ground we were taken, for the dust we are... and to the dust we shall return.

Quote Originally Posted by stagstalker View Post
    Turn it into a 284
    Thought 284win was so last week and the cool cats built 7mm saum now?!

Going to have a spare 22” .284 t3 barrel soon if you decide to go that way

@Hunterdave sent you a PM
    Magnus likes this.

Had a 18inch 7mm08 that threw the 162gr @ 2530fps and took goats and fallow out to 602meters with it. Since rebarreled in 7mmCreedwhore.

Also got an 18inch 284win that throws the 162gr @ 2780fps with 20gr more powder.
    So picking up another7mm08 barrel tomorrow to put back on.
    For my style of hunting it has no advantage and isn't as efficient as the 7mm08 in a short barrel
    Using Tapatalk