Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By Marty Henry
  • 1 Post By shooternz
  • 1 Post By scotty

Thread: 8x57 projectiles

8x57 projectiles

What is everyone finding as the best all around 8mm projectile for the 8x57, caveat easily available?
    Couple of forum members seem to like the 170gr SST.
    Still not too explodey up close?
    I'd tap out at 200gr.
    If it isnt the SST then something that has a good mix of penetration and expansion.
    180gr partition would be nice
    The 180gr ballistic tips would be good but get write ups for being on the tough side.
    Monometals like Barnes, go light and fast?
    Or just stick with SB 196gr?

Your s&b 196 grainers won't dissapoint.
    shooternz and csmiffy like this.

Yes S&B 196 are fine so are the Norma of any weight, at present it is more what you can find than anything else
    The most common projectiles used in the 8x57 are the heavier ones in the 180 to 200 grain range close to what the military used
    it is what the throat is designed for.
    csmiffy likes this.

mine is not fussy as far as accuracy (minute of deer ) is concerned with 170gr rn hornady the best 180gr nosler ballistic tips next and 195 hornady spitzers good too, i have some 150gr but not as accurate with 2208 thinking about using a different powder with those..........
    i havent had a chance to see the results on an animal yet the few times ive been out in the past couple of years ive been taking the 30/30

@scotty just out of interest how tough were the ballistic tips? Not to hard?

i dont think so ....but then im in no way as knowledgeable as others on here and i havent been fortunate enuff to say ive seen the results on an animal......
    as most of my hunting is done in the thick stuff the 170gr round nose is my go to.
    if you like i will have a look tomorrow and see if i can spare half a dozen or so of the 180 BTs
    csmiffy likes this.

@Scotty Cheers mate
    Dont know when I will get around to try them though.
    Got some factory Geco. Great price and shoot 1-1/2 group at a hundy but it is a very round roundnose and it didnt travel very far through the one deer I shot with it.
    Hit ribs on an average spiker and didnt come out the other side with only soft stuff in the way. Only just I may add
    Now you could say it was perfect it absolutely wrecked everything in it's way but it didn't really have much opposition and didnt have far to go
    On the geco websites own graphs for comparison it doesnt rate well for penetration compared to its other offerings
    Sort of want better out of the bigger calibre.
    Definitely dont reckon it's a double shoulder breaker.

If you are going to make bulk deal, 180gr I may join, depends on how many and where it from.
    Always In pursuit of my happiness...No matter the costs.

Quote Originally Posted by csmiffy View Post
    the one deer I shot with it.
    Hit ribs on an average spiker and didnt come out the other side with only soft stuff in the way. Only just I may add.
    is that the 185gr or 196gr? even the highland 139gr will go thru and thru with no solid resistence (similar shot placement on a fallow a few years back)

@scotty 185. Their 196gr offering would be my go to in that brand I reckon.
    The factory graph gives the 185 as low penetration and meat loss and the 195 is a bonded type and is rated as high penetration and meat loss.
    As a side note I had a handful of the SB ammo with the rifle. Tried it after sighting in the geco 185 and it shot perfectly in line vertically but about an inch higher.
    Considering I had it 2" high at a hundy the195s would work mint as a dual load.

bump
    what about interlocks and the different norma bullets?