Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By sako75

Thread: accadently light loaded my rounds are they still safe to shoot

accadently light loaded my rounds are they still safe to shoot

I have just finished loading a hole bunch of rounds for my 357 mag (Rifle) but I have just realized I confused my charge weight I was using 158gn cast bullets but accidently used the charge for my 175gn cast bullet load and they are 1.7gn short of the recommended minimum load
    they loaded with 7gn but there meant to have 8.7gn minimum for the said powder(ADI-ap100) with a 158gn bullet

do you think they will be safe to fire? don't really feel like pulling 150 rounds in less completely no way round it

res
    1.7gn in a pistol caliber is a lot as I'm sure you know.
    There is no way I would fire those!!
    Better safe than sorry, and I hope you haven't crimped them and have a pulling die rather than a kinetic puller.
    Think of the time as a reminder to double check-and keep in mind your not the first or will you be the last to do something like this.

And it's not like they are going to shoot to your sights anyway being that far out
    Using Tapatalk

I think they will shoot just fine.

res
    Maybe the actual load should be posted up, that way anyone who has actual experience in it can chime up.
    Otherwise it's just going to be people showing which way they lean with risk-or will look that way anyway.
    Using Tapatalk

Sounds like you have loaded the pistol load. If that is the case and the bullets are only cast there is no reason to believe they will not be safe to shoot in a rifle. They will just be slower than expected. You cant buy rifle power 357 mag factory cos someone might use it in a pistol and that would be bad! but plenty of pistol ammo is used in rifles.
    I shoot a lot of cast bullets mostly for plinking but also some small game hunting and use shotgun powders such as blue dot, green dot and 700x.
    Checked my ADI manual and your loads are for pistols so should be fine. If you want more oomph check out page 145 for rifle loads much more oomph!
    Last edited by Marty Henry; 09-01-2015 at 07:40 AM. Reason: manual check

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Henry View Post
    Sounds like you have loaded the pistol load. If that is the case and the bullets are only cast there is no reason to believe they will not be safe to shoot in a rifle. They will just be slower than expected. You cant buy rifle power 357 mag factory cos someone might use it in a pistol and that would be bad! but plenty of pistol ammo is used in rifles.
    I shoot a lot of cast bullets mostly for plinking but also some small game hunting and use shotgun powders such as blue dot, green dot and 700x.
    Checked my ADI manual and your loads are for pistols so should be fine. If you want more oomph check out page 145 for rifle loads much more oomph!
    @Marty Henry my 357 mag is just a plinking rifle so I use the pistol loads less powder less cost.... I have the data here for the 38spl with the same powder and I am 0.6gn over max for a 38 so will just be like shooting a 38spl I would say

Just shoot the fuckers Darryn and tell us what happens. We could put a bottle of Sailor Jerry up for the nearest correct guess
    Shootm, hamsav and Tommy like this.

Did you shoot them yet.

nah not yet I haven't made it to the range.... im sure they are fine though ive done research now

I think youll find with that weight boolit and powder combination you will have an accurate load.