Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree68Likes

Thread: Another 260 Improved

GWH
    In a t3 is there any advantage of running this improved 260 over a straight 6.5x55?

Quote Originally Posted by GWH View Post
    In a t3 is there any advantage of running this improved 260 over a straight 6.5x55?
    Doubt it. Nothing significant
    jakewire likes this.

Canterbury, home of the big Rakaia Red Stag
    Depends how you look at it. I started with the idea of using a genuine medium length action for the project when I bought my reamer, then bought a Tikka as the donor. I wanted an improved so I could achieve a bit velocity over a standard case and also benefit from the lower maintenance required on improved cases as they don't stretch to the same degree as standard. Also I'm not one to be mainstream at all, I like to have something a bit different to work with. If I had a 6.5x55 it would probably had a 40 degree shoulder
    GWH, mikee and rossi.45 like this.

GWH
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathias View Post
    Depends how you look at it. I started with the idea of using a genuine medium length action for the project when I bought my reamer, then bought a Tikka as the donor. I wanted an improved so I could achieve a bit velocity over a standard case and also benefit from the lower maintenance required on improved cases as they don't stretch to the same degree as standard. Also I'm not one to be mainstream at all, I like to have something a bit different to work with. If I had a 6.5x55 it would probably had a 40 degree shoulder
    Yeah fair enough. I get that. I think the h2o capacity of 6.5 swede is around 57gr from memory.

But I fully get wanting something a little different. I can't talk, I have 2x 284 wins, 7Saum and 260 Rem and now a swede too which I'd quite like to give the BJAI treatment at some point, but just don't know if I could be Shagged with the fireforming etc.

Hoping to get around 2900 with 143 eldx from the swede with different powders.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Nice selection. I went for a bit of barrel length to help me out as well, 24.5" is good without being to much over all rifle length. Im happy with the safe 2940 im getting from the eldx. Confess to buying some Superformance today to try tho'

Sent from my GT-I9192 using Tapatalk
    GWH likes this.

Yeah fair enough. I get that. I think the h2o capacity of 6.5 swede is around 57gr from memory.

But I fully get wanting something a little different. I can't talk, I have 2x 284 wins, 7Saum and 260 Rem and now a swede too which I'd quite like to give the BJAI treatment at some point, but just don't know if I could be Shagged with the fireforming etc.

Hoping to get around 2900 with 143 eldx from the swede with different powders.

Trickle your way up with Norma cases and n560 and you should get there (fed primers). I'm 2840 with 21.5" barrel (140 AMax). Damn happy at that.
    GWH likes this.

Am I missing something or are you getting these speeds with a normal swede? I've recently started playing with 140s - VLDS, SSTs, Gamekings and soon to try Partitions. Accuracy has been good but speeds are more like 2650. This is with 2209, 44.5gn. Most accurate load more like 43.5 at 2590

Quote Originally Posted by WillB View Post
    Am I missing something or are you getting these speeds with a normal swede? I've recently started playing with 140s - VLDS, SSTs, Gamekings and soon to try Partitions. Accuracy has been good but speeds are more like 2650. This is with 2209, 44.5gn. Most accurate load more like 43.5 at 2590
    Stay in touch with @GWH and he can fill you in with his findings when trying some different powders. N560 is a popular swede fuel....

Don't push the military type action Swedes. Only chase velocity with the 6.5x55 in modern actions.

If yours is an ex military action your speeds are sitting about right.

I have a T3 .260AI with 22" barrel and using the 143grn I can get 2880fps at a max I know guys getting close to that with a standard .260 it depends on your barrel.

I should have said this is with a T3. Thanks for that and yeah GWH I'd be real keen to follow your progress. (Also btw the Vortex rf i bought off you has been brilliant ranged a deer with it just recently and got it so thanks for that).
    GWH likes this.

GWH
    I should have said this is with a T3. Thanks for that and yeah GWH I'd be real keen to follow your progress. (Also btw the Vortex rf i bought off you has been brilliant ranged a deer with it just recently and got it so thanks for that).
    Sweet mate, send me a pm.

Sweet mate, send me a pm.
    And a backsteak
    GWH, WillB and Mathias like this.

I tried the Superformance stuff everyone raves about. Cranked my 260 Imp up with 48gr as a max load and I got 2906 fps average. With RL17 45gr gives me 2941 fps average. Accuracy was not quite as sharp as the RL17 load either. All loads were with the 143 gr ELD-X. I only used BR2 primers and the Superformance is pretty dense, maybe could have done with a bit hotter ignition? Anyway I'll put it to the back of the shelf and get it out when the RL17 runs out and work with it then as a substitute.

I get 2900 with 47.5 from a 22".
    I'm sure @BRADS gets 2900 from his 20" standard .260 same powder and the 143grn ELD -X