Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Another 30cal subsonic thread

Gone but not forgotten
    Quote Originally Posted by Cigar View Post
    Bought in March, loaded in April, none fired yet - s**t I’m slack!
    Finally made it to the range today!
    I still have some work to do. The 151gr cast projectiles are just subsonic (1106fps) with 8gr of Trailboss, but the Sub-X 190gr are way slower, 696fps with 8gr, 854fps with 9gr.

I still have some work to do. The 151gr cast projectiles are just subsonic (1106fps) with 8gr of Trailboss, but the Sub-X 190gr are way slower, 696fps with 8gr, 854fps with 9gr.
    Ok. I haven't chronographed mine but am using 11gns TB and they seem to go supersonic at 12gns (16" T3). It will be interesting to see your speeds if you go up a few grains.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

Gone but not forgotten
    Loaded a few more Sub-X rounds today from 10 to 12 grains of Trailboss, hopefully it doesn't take me another 6 months to get to the range again!
    Shearer likes this.

Gone but not forgotten
    I have settled on 11.5gr of Trailboss with the Sub-X, gives me 1094fps. 10gr was 949fps, 12gr was 1133fps.

I'm surprised at the difference the projectile makes, 7.5 grains for the 151gr cast bullet and 11.5 for the 190 Sub-X...that's over 50% more powder!

The difference is partly due to the weight difference and partly due to friction, having to engrave a solid copper jacket with a full length bearing surface as opposed to a grooved lubricated lead bullet even if they were the same weight you would need less powder with the cast bullet to obtain the same velocity.
    Apart from being cleaner to handle I never have seen any advantage offered by subsonic jacketed bullets over cast lead especially with a hollow point.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Gone but not forgotten
    Quote Originally Posted by joelhenton View Post
    Do you knowledgeable lot think a 30-30 in 1-10" twist (barrel length 17") would handle these 190gr SubX alright? I know they've got the factory boxed 30-30 option in 175gr but I don't think the 175gr projectiles are available as components for handloaders.

Thanks,
    Joel
    I fired a few rounds I developed for my 1:8 twist thru my 1:12 twist today, round holes at 50m (and good grouping) so it looks like they are stable. Sounded like they might be supersonic though, didn't take the chronograph.
    Tuidog likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Shearer View Post
    As VC says you should be ok. Just shoot them with the suppressor off first to test stability...just in case.
    On that note does anyone notice the difference with or without the suppressor when shooting subs through a 30 call rifle? I’m yet to notice it myself
    Go fast, Don’t suck

Quote Originally Posted by G.I_Joel View Post
    On that note does anyone notice the difference with or without the suppressor when shooting subs through a 30 call rifle? I’m yet to notice it myself
    In my 300 BLK it's something like this.

Unsuppressed: Bang.
    Suppressed: Clickwoosh.

About the same difference as a 22 subsonic with or without a suppressor. I found the factory 300 blk subsonic loads didn't always stay sub. 16" barrel bolt action.
    Every machine is a smoke machine,
    If you use it wrong enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe_90 View Post
    I found the factory 300 blk subsonic loads didn't always stay sub. 16" barrel bolt action.
    Mine was the same. 16.5" Bergara. Factory 190gr Sub-X claimed at 1050fps was actually doing 1142fps.
    Resident 6.5 Grendel aficionado.

Quote Originally Posted by Pommy View Post
    Mine was the same. 16.5" Bergara. Factory 190gr Sub-X claimed at 1050fps was actually doing 1142fps.
    I' would have similar rifle in .308, not had long .
    Picked ups some barnaul 140gn softpoints for less than a dollar a round. Not sub sonic, yet surprisingly quiet put through suppressor and plenty accurate for cheap ammo.
    Purchased from hunting and fishing also another surprise considering their mark ups, yet our local one has always been better to deal with than other outlets.

Would definatly get some more.
    mimms2 likes this.