Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: Any one seating bullets using a graphite powder?

Where do you all source the graphite?

Quote Originally Posted by 7mmsaum View Post
    I use it for that purpose constantly

The dry welding you mention is called Galvanic Corrosion

Ammo made and stored for a long time increases in pressure and velocity as galvanic corrosion advances
    Cheers for the feed back, What is your application method? That does make sense. I assume you havn't had any negative effects.?

Quote Originally Posted by zimmer View Post
    In general I load ammo a couple of days b4 I intend firing it. I have no old ammo so no pone tial for sticking. I did however dig out some 10 year old 223 reloads recently and fire those. Velocities and accuracy were as per expected.

I have experimented with lubing either the inside of the neck or the projectile bearing surface. This mainly came about due to what ultrasonic cleaning (long since scrapped) did to the inside of the case necks. I experienced very erratic seating pressures as measured on my K&M press. Once fired and the residual coating inside the neck was re established seating went back to normal.

I used the graphite and shot method. Also experimented with making a solution of moly and isopropyl alcohol and painting that inside the neck.

Since stopping ultrasonic cleaning I have also stopped lubing. I will however have further plays. AMP with the development of their hydraulic seating press have been doing some work on lubing. Will catch up with them at some stage.

Some top shooters ie Yank F Class are anal about projectiles sticking in necks. They seat long and then reseat to correct depth the night b4 their matches. Although this is not just about sticking it is also to compensate for throat wear over long running matches.
    A mate started doing the same technique and said on some rounds when reseating there was a noticeable "click" when moving the projectile. I don't think this was welding though as the ammo just wasn't old enough.
    I have heard that the ultra sonic can can away some of that good carbon on the inside of the neck. That amp press is very impressive, for those of us that was fund limited a arbor press with a gauge is sufficient. I have watched some f class reloading stuff on youtube and they are are on another level when it comes to precision. i have noticed that click when reseating projectiles.

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Jack View Post
    Also interested... would pencil lead be any different? I’m an architect and have a fancy pencil sharpener that is always full of fine graphite from my 2mm mechanical pencil.

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Jack View Post
    Hardware store or any engineering supply store would have it.
    #DANNYCENT

ANY ENGINEERING shop will stock it...my pottle was given to me some 25 years ago to freeup sticky door lock...still over half full.
    dannyb likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by r87mm View Post
    I do. Just dip the base of the projectile into the lube and then seat it. Graphite changes with humidity. When it's very dry it doesn't stick to the projectiles very well but when humidity is high it stick very well from what I see.. if you are going to dip the mouths don't over clean them or it won't stick as they will be to smooth. I find just dipping the projectiles as I load them less messy.

Sent from my SM-A205GN using Tapatalk
    Cheers for the reply seams to be a logical time to apply to the projectile it if you have sized with a different material. ie lanolin based ect.

Just dont use hornady 1shot for this. I've got footage of spooky white tracer smoke going a full 100m out of my muzzle on every shot. Name:  VideoCapture_20201206-161003.jpg
Views: 291
Size:  1.39 MB

Yeah I do. I have a small pottle that I dip the projectile into, tap it against the side and then place it into the case. Works like a charm and doesn’t make too much of a mess

I thought the Imperial dry neck lube was for sizing.
    It lets the expander button slide up out of the neck with less friction.
    I suppose it could lubricate seating the bullet a bit.

I apply it to the inside of the neck with a cleaning brush and that helps remove extraneous carbon, grass and grit before sizing.
    I use a device with the brush pointing up and its mounted in a container with the neck lube floating round inside.
    Every third round I give it a shake to deposit a bit more powder on the brush. The pic shows a commercial bought one I use now but I used a home made one for many years and it was fine.

Name:  Case lube 800.jpeg
Views: 271
Size:  232.8 KB

You can see a bit of graphite gets engrained into the reloading bench over the years.

The outside of the case has the goobly oily sizing wax on it and the inside of the case is dry with powder only in the neck. I wouldn't want to get the liquid greasy stuff inside where the gunpowder is. I do give it a tap on the bench before seating the primer in, to let excess graphite out. Also a tap base down to let flakes of brass out of the primer pocket after I've cleaned that out with the pocket cutter.
    Last edited by Bagheera; 03-01-2021 at 09:40 PM.

I brought some redding graphite off Swaro second hand and started dipping bullets in that havnt noticed any ill effects. Shot some rabbits at 400-450 with the 30 nosler after changing to graphite.
    Pengy likes this.

northdude
    i dip my case necks in graphite for neck sizing so there could be some left inside the neck when i seat bullets

I use a cotton bud dipped in the graphite and tapped on the side of the jar. Twirl it around inside the neck after it has been filled with powder. Otherwise the powder filling process will erode it down into the case, ( just my thoughts).
    Moa Hunter likes this.