Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree22Likes
  • 14 Post By dannyb
  • 1 Post By dannyb
  • 1 Post By longshot

Thread: Anyone keen to rent a labradar?

Anyone keen to rent a labradar?

Thought I would chuck this out there, is there anyone interested in renting a LABRADAR?

I’m based in Wellington, and do not use this all that much.

What would be reasonable? $100 a week? $50 a weekend?

It’s also in a hard case so could potentially ship.

Let me know what you guys think, cheers

Name:  11827B95-5058-4E17-BBA4-6F5E2BFB5FD3.jpeg
Views: 589
Size:  5.21 MB

100 bucks A week!!!
    Might as well buy one at that.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    100 bucks A week!!!
    Might as well buy one at that.
    What do you think would be fair?

To be honest I don't think its a great idea, too risky, accidents happen, and way to many dodgy people out there.
    Just look at the accounts on here that have recently been hacked for starters.
    It's a tool and if you wanna let your mates use it all good but I think renting it out to persons unkown is just a bad idea and a potential loss waiting to happen whether by deception, accidentally or the simple fact that people dont look after stuff that they don't own.
    My 2 cents....
    #DANNYCENT

Quote Originally Posted by dannyb View Post
    To be honest I don't think its a great idea, too risky, accidents happen, and way to many dodgy people out there.
    Just look at the accounts on here that have recently been hacked for starters.
    It's a tool and if you wanna let your mates use it all good but I think renting it out to persons unkown is just a bad idea and a potential loss waiting to happen whether by deception, accidentally or the simple fact that people dont look after stuff that they don't own.
    My 2 cents....

You are probably right.

Quote Originally Posted by dale View Post
    You are probably right.
    I wish I wasn't, a labradar is a brilliant bit of kit that is not in reach for many but the reality is you are probably better of loaning it to people you know whilst supervised by yourself.
    Your suggestion of hiring it out has noble connotations but in reality it will likely get damaged lost or possibly stolen and no matter what the hire fee I would think any fee someone would be willing to pay would be far from the replacement or repair cost and the risk far more than the financial reward of the fee.
    PadLo likes this.
    #DANNYCENT

You would need to vet potential hirers (some difficulties there), charge a suitable refundable deposit. A realistic deposit would probabaly kill the whole deal at any rate.

Then some cretan who doesn't understand safe loading practices and load development blows his rifle and blames your LR for giving false results.
    Refuses to return LR, wants you to pay for rifle. Yeah I know, an extreme case......

The other way to look at it - if you've got a vehicle for sale do you trust everyone that turns up to take your vehicle away, without you going with them, for a test drive. How many vehicles still get stolen using this method?

Quote Originally Posted by zimmer View Post
    You would need to vet potential hirers (some difficulties there), charge a suitable refundable deposit. A realistic deposit would probabaly kill the whole deal at any rate.

Then some cretan who doesn't understand safe loading practices and load development blows his rifle and blames your LR for giving false results.
    Refuses to return LR, wants you to pay for rifle. Yeah I know, an extreme case......

The other way to look at it - if you've got a vehicle for sale do you trust everyone that turns up to take your vehicle away, without you going with them, for a test drive. How many vehicles still get stolen using this method?
    And on the other side of the coin is what guarantee is of getting the 'suitable refundable deposit' back?

Good idea up front and I tip my hat to the gesture, but if someone is so deep in the rabbit hole of reloading that they need to use a labradar, they would probably buy one.
    The fundamental problem I can see here in addition to what others have already said is that renting reloading equipment just goes against the grain of most people that reload.
    A big part of reloading is spending money up front on reloading gear so you don't have to spend more money on ammo along the way (not withstanding current component shortage). But as stated I do tip my hat to the gesture.

If you really wanted work around some of the issues others have raised, you could have a thread here on the forum saying what days you are going to the range (this would assume membership at the likes of Kaitoke or Gladstone and that you head along on a regular basis) Turn up and spend the afternoon charging $10 or $20 to those who want to use it after you have set it up. You avoid all of the admin grief and stress of liability. I would probably pay that myself if I didn't have a chronograph and this is probably more typical of your target market.
    $50 or $100 for a weekend would be a threshold where the hirer needed to do a lot of range time to make it worthwhile, which doesn't happen that often for most non owners of chronographs.
    Last edited by longshot; 22-12-2021 at 02:40 PM.
    Moa Hunter likes this.

Offer to turn up at a deer stalkers and charge people $20 for 30mins? That way you're supervising and also in a 'safer' environment. Also insured if you're a member