Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Tommy
  • 1 Post By NZShoota

Thread: Anyone Reloading 50BMG?

Anyone Reloading 50BMG?

Gents.
    Is anyone reloading for 50BMG or are you just buying ammo when it’s available?
    Dollars wise, it looks like it’s hardly worth reloading.

Cases and powder are available most of the time but who stocks primers and cheap projectiles for general blasting fun?

Cheers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just out of general curiousity, how many types of single shot or 10 mag max, bolt action rifles are likely to still be around?

If you have an opinion on the semis as well after the cull closed let's hear it

As long as they are bolt action and hold less than 10 rounds they are all still legal (For now) same as any other centre fire rifle.

"Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

[QUOTE=Simon;936198]As long as they are bolt action and hold less than 10 rounds they are all still legal (For now) same as any other centre fire rifle.

Legality was not what i asked as I am well aware of the legality of single shot and 10 max mags bolt actions.... which is why i asked in another sentence about semis.

So, is your answer that you have no idea?

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Sapper View Post
    Just out of general curiousity, how many types of single shot or 10 mag max, bolt action rifles are likely to still be around?

If you have an opinion on the semis as well after the cull closed let's hear it

Logically as they are still legal there will be the same number or a few more than as before.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

[QUOTE=Kiwi Sapper;936200]
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    As long as they are bolt action and hold less than 10 rounds they are all still legal (For now) same as any other centre fire rifle.

Legality was not what i asked as I am well aware of the legality of single shot and 10 max mags bolt actions.... which is why i asked in another sentence about semis.

So, is your answer that you have no idea?
    It looks like you edited your original post as I was typing my response hence my response does not make much sense.

There are a surprising number of 50BMG bolt actions in NZ with more on there way.
    Doubt there are any illegal semi versions still around as they are unusual so would be easier to find I would suspect.

If you know were reloading components can be purchased for 50BMG I would be interested.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Sapper View Post

If you know were reloading components can be purchased for 50BMG I would be interested.

Serious Shooters has a Dillon press set up in .50bmg and some Ruskie 14 point something in the shop that gets used, I would start there
    Simon likes this.
    Identify your target beyond all doubt

Blimey !
    Summer grass
    Of stalwart warriors splendid dreams
    the aftermath.

Matsuo Basho.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    Gents.
    Is anyone reloading for 50BMG or are you just buying ammo when it’s available?
    Dollars wise, it looks like it’s hardly worth reloading.

Cases and powder are available most of the time but who stocks primers and cheap projectiles for general blasting fun?

Cheers.

When I was looking for projectiles to assemble a dummy belt, belmont ammo had the cheapest projectiles I found. From memory was about $2ea for pulled FMJ's. Maybe give them a bell?
    Simon likes this.

[QUOTE=Simon;936209][QUOTE=Kiwi Sapper;936200]

It looks like you edited your original post as I was typing my response hence my response does not make much sense.

It seems so, I did so to clarify a degree of fuzziness about legality

Some Gun city have advertised rounds, (suitable for reloading?) and powder

https://tinyurl.com/t856yvu

And Belmont have rounds also.

https://tinyurl.com/r28fju9 as NZshoota has mentioned. They are closed until 13 Jan.

Using the cheapest components from Workshop Innovation and GunsNZ, each round would cost $15.31 for the first shot and $8.31 each from then onwards reusing the brass.
    A suitable press and dies along with trimmer would be $570.
    Hardly worth reloading unless shooting many hundreds of rounds per year or the ammo is not readily available which it is not sometimes.

Cheapest loaded rounds (currently out of stock but more coming April) is from Ammo Direct.
    $6 to $7 each, Freedom Munitions.