Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree8Likes
  • 2 Post By Mathias
  • 3 Post By Pommy
  • 1 Post By 6.5
  • 2 Post By charliehorse

Thread: Anyone tried hornady match bthp for hunting?

Anyone tried hornady match bthp for hunting?

Hi has anyone tried the hornady 6.5 140bthp match projectiles for hunting? (Only sika) I assumed they would be ok at lower speeds like eldm’s etc but a the only info I can find online (American forums) seems to suggest they actually don’t expand very well at all. I’m only thinking off using them as all my other projectiles are definitely not suited for hunting
    Thanks

Canterbury, home of the big Rakaia Red Stag
    Know a guy who bought a new Tikka 6.5CM & was given that to use, was Hornady factory ammo. Very dissapointed as he nearly lost his first 3 animals with walk offs after a good hit, luckily had a dog with him. Little or no expansion he reckoned.
    Changed to ELDX and not looked back.

Sent from my SM-A530F using Tapatalk
    Micky Duck and Pommy like this.

There's no big hollowpoint, polymer tip, or exposed lead to start them off expanding reliably. So they can pencil through stuff.

The jackets are pretty thin too. So if they do start to expand, they can pretty much explode. With no solid base or bonding to hold any of it together to help something punch through.

Or if you're lucky, they can behave like a berger and perform beautifully.

Problem is you have no way of knowing which of those outcomes you're gonna get.
    TeRei, Micky Duck and Roarless20 like this.
    Resident 6.5 Grendel aficionado.

right ho..you have asked so I shall do my best to answer....
    your statement/question actually contradicts itself somewhat..... ok at lower speeds...dont expand very well at all

higher speed USUALLY means expands faster and a match type projectile has no criteria to do anything other than be accurate...the ones with J4 type jackets,thin soft jackets have reputation for expanding very well,if not too well at higher speeds BUT if the nose stays closed they may not open at all.
    you COULD open tip up SLIGHTLY... take the copper back as straight as you can till cavity in nose it more open or even back till tiny bit of lead is exposed,to aid in its opening IF they are infact too hard and not opening properly...HOWEVER if they are already opening too well/exploding due to high speed/fast twist barrel and high velocity they will now be handgrenades at best. if you shoot to break shoulder bones,a stout projectile will work.heck even a FMJ will work if you are careful with shot placement,but a purpose designed cup n core will just do it better.
    list what projectiles/loads you have got and we will see if indeed they are all no good or if there is something you have over looked.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Thanks for the replies, will definitely can that idea and buy some more suitable projectiles.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Shoot em' in the eye...you'll be fine
    Micky Duck and Roarless20 like this.