Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: AR2206H

Crony i was using is questionable.

@Micky Duck that maybe true regards to accuracy but to me the worry is that the most accurate load is 0.5 over max. If someone else worked up that load and got a new can of powder and replicated the load without dropping back and checking they could be in for a nasty suprise if that batch is as slow as 10ring suggests.

True that.....and why we are all told EVERYWHERE we look for reloading info/data to start low and work up...... I agree as for ONE of my rifles its loads sit at or above max...now if new batch of powder was hotter I be in the doodoohs.

Quote Originally Posted by muka88 View Post
    Crony i was using is questionable.
    what kind?
    RIP Harry F. 29/04/20

Shooters croney the one that belongs to the forrum

Quote Originally Posted by 10-Ring View Post
    For the last couple of months I've been using a particular 500gm bottle of AR2206H. Wasn't getting particularly good groups with my .308 and the recoil felt quite soft. Anyway put several of my loads of 45.3gr 150gr Sierra Pro Hunter past the Labradar chrono this morning and the velocity was only just hitting 2,500fps out of a 20" barrel. Something was wrong as I should be getting 2,800fps as I normally do with this powder.

Had a bottle of the same powder I bought at the Sika Show of a different batch number so loaded up 45.3gr of that, hit the range and the velocity averages 2,806fps for five shots (where it should be). Had this happen before with a lot AR2208 so not very happy about such a variation. I like AR powders but 300fps difference is ridiculous.

The batch number of the slow powder is MEM7041.
    @10-Ring ran my load over the chronograph today, getting 2760fps with 16" barrel 308 (150gr BT). Wonder if your bottle got heated or something in transit? I was quite surprised by the velocity.

Gone But Not Forgotten
    Quote Originally Posted by Hunty1 View Post
    @10-Ring ran my load over the chronograph today, getting 2760fps with 16" barrel 308 (150gr BT). Wonder if your bottle got heated or something in transit? I was quite surprised by the velocity.
    Thanks Hunty1. Yeah, may have been overheated, but not by me. Bought it direct from a shop in Auckland last time I was up there and kept cool on the journey home. Incidentally, how many grains for your load?

@10-Ring load is 0.5 over adi max, 46gr. However no pressure signs. By far the most accurate load I tried.
    10-Ring likes this.

I have the same batch and seems to be fine. Loading for a 223 - 25gr under a 55gr TTSX giving 3020fps out of a 16.5 inch barrel.

I think there must be other factors at play, or ADI needs to be informed. 300fps is way too much flat variation, its 30% pressure drop according to their data- product failure and should be returned for someone to look at.

To be honest I'd see chrony fail/variation factors more likely contributor.. Do you have another chrony you can run it over?

Gone But Not Forgotten
    Quote Originally Posted by sixtus View Post
    I think there must be other factors at play, or ADI needs to be informed. 300fps is way too much flat variation, its 30% pressure drop according to their data- product failure and should be returned for someone to look at.

To be honest I'd see chrony fail/variation factors more likely contributor.. Do you have another chrony you can run it over?
    I have an older Chrony. However, I use a Labradar that was checked with other ammo that gives expected velocities and also checked with a new, different batch of AR2206H which gave the usual 2,800fps it should be getting with 45gr of that powder in my 20" barrel Sako with the 150gr Sierra Gameking. The Labradar is working fine.

Well something is going on mate. That sort of variation is like ADI mislabelling the powder wrong. What you describe is the 2206H is burning several whole rates slower, maybe even slower than AR2209. Thats a massive deal, if its correct it would be a batchlot recall. Might be worth letting the store know to be honest.
    10-Ring likes this.