Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By Puffin
  • 1 Post By flock
  • 4 Post By zimmer

Thread: Bad Reloading Press ??

Bad Reloading Press ??

Gidday - has anybody has a press "go bad" and start turning out loads with heaps of run-out?? My one has a lot of "slop" and a shimmy in the ram and I'm wondering if its responsible for the wheels falling of the accuracy in a couple of rifles??

What do you call heaps of runout?
    And how much slop is there in your press?

My 1975 vintage RCBS has about 3 thou slop at the top of the ram when fully raised, measured with a DTI. I have to push hard on it to show that slop. I can still produce ammo with only 0-1 thou runout using that press.

I've no doubt a really sloppy press won't help matters.

Have you measured your necks runout b4 seating a projectile?

My worst runout was produced, over several calibres, whenever I used Redding Body Dies. Absolutely no real support for the neck.

7 to 8 thou tip runout would be about the average of what it is producing. It can be negated a bit by turning during seating but thats not doing anything for sizing . . . . I'd say mine has a bout 10-15 thou of slop. Its an RCBS Rockchucker so its a bloody shame.

If you want a dodgy press competition I would happily put my lee press up it is really bad, slop in the threads for the quick change Bush.
    That being said still managed to load very accurate ammo. It's just bloody tedious
    #DANNYCENT

Quote Originally Posted by zimmer View Post
    What do you call heaps of runout?
    And how much slop is there in your press?

My 1975 vintage RCBS has about 3 thou slop at the top of the ram when fully raised, measured with a DTI. I have to push hard on it to show that slop. I can still produce ammo with only 0-1 thou runout using that press.

I've no doubt a really sloppy press won't help matters.

Have you measured your necks runout b4 seating a projectile?

My worst runout was produced, over several calibres, whenever I used Redding Body Dies. Absolutely no real support for the neck.
    After the redding body die, bumps shoulder 2th what do you use to tighten the neck? I use the lee collect neck sizing die and it seems to work

My Rockchucker is also pretty wobbly. I like to think that it assists in self-centering, much as the floating dies in the Forster Coax. If there is absolutely no runout then you'd have to be pretty damned sure that the press machining along with the dies were absolutely concentric.
    I've even read of some in the States grinding down the shaft in the RCBS to add in some wobble for just this reason. To take advantage of any wear/self-centering you'd need dies that fit the brass in a way where the dies align the cases prior to, and during, the sizing or seating process. Redding Competition dies might be an example. Perhaps your dies are not doing this and allowing the press ram to dictate terms?
    flock likes this.

My Lyman turret press has some slop, it has a locking mechanism to stop the turret moving, I have found it better to allow this movement. Also the shell holder moves to find its own centre, took the clip out now has an O ring allowing slight movement. The ram itself has a wee jiggle at the top of the stroke, which I use when seating, I start the projectile then turn it 180 degs and finish the seating, giving it a slight jiggle at the finishing stage. I do use benchrest seating dies, foster & redding - they are excellent. Don't put up with anything over 1th ran out, hunting ammo included. So slop and self centring can be you friend, so play around & find what works for you.
    Puffin likes this.

northdude
    Wow i thought only the lee ones were bad . Mines got play in it doesnt seem to affect the ammo it produces tho

Quote Originally Posted by flock View Post
    After the redding body die, bumps shoulder 2th what do you use to tighten the neck? I use the lee collect neck sizing die and it seems to work
    For neck sizing only I had ended up using the Lee Collet dies. Ended up with about 4 different calibres in them. Runout using them is minimal.

Otherwise, in the last year I have changed my whole process. Whereas I used to use bushing dies for neck sizing (pre collet die) and full length sizing I have parked them up. I actually purchased Whidden's super expensive bushing FLSing die for my 308 that I use for FTR. Runout with the Whidden was terrible.

I bought Forster full length sizing dies for some of my serious target shooting stuff (6mmBR, 6.5x47L, 308). After having several other brands I feel the Forster are top notch.
    I now anneal after every firing, FLS with the Forster with expander button removed, and then expand the neck to my desired neck tension using a expander die.

Otherwise for other catridges use a combination of standard die sets and Lee Collet.
    Puffin, flock, Steelisreal and 1 others like this.

northdude
    I had a sizing die that was pulling the necks off center once i vaugley remember