Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree13Likes
  • 3 Post By chainsaw
  • 4 Post By Ryan_Songhurst
  • 1 Post By Gibo
  • 1 Post By PipIstrelle
  • 1 Post By JP100
  • 1 Post By mattstr
  • 2 Post By mattstr

Thread: Ballistics app for using a Swarovski z5

HBhunter

Ballistics app for using a Swarovski z5

Hi all
    Im pretty new when it comes to dial up so still trying to get my head around it. As per title running a Swaro z5 and just keen to hear what app people are using as I understand they are a Smoa scope not true moa which I can’t seem to find in other apps. I have been struggling with the Swaro app. I have to go through the actual website to be able to change to the correct units I’m using.
    Any help much appreciated.
    Thanks Matt

Hi mate, I use the Shooter app with my Z5, I have set the app to Inch/100 yards as like you say Swaros are not MOA, they are IPHY (inch per hundred yards

Hi Matt, you are correct most Swaros do not dial true moa. In my experience with a couple of Z5s (3.5-18x44) and Z3 4-12x50 they dial about 0.95-0.975 inch per moa dialed rather than true moa (1.05 in). To get the exact correction factor you should calibrate your scope. Place a tall target at exactly 100 yards from the erector turret on your scope. Put the rifle on a bench or something solid and clamp it in place so it can’t move. Align the scope/rifle so cross hairs are near top of target. Mark that position on the target then dial 10moa and mark on the target the point where cross hairs now lie. Measure the distance in inches- it should be 10.5in for true moa but for Swaro it will be more like 9.5in or 9.7.
    That gives you a correction factor for your scope. Repeat the exercise a couple of times so you are confident in the data.

I find 0.97 as factor works well for Swaros I have used. Then use any ballistic app you want to generate a drop chart using your projectile BC and muzzle velocities. Then apply your correction factor to the moa come up values. Because scope is dialing less than it should the come up value needs to increase so divide the app value by correction factor. The Hornady app is pretty easy to use and a good starting point. So for example if the app predicts 6.5 moa come up for 600 yards then 6.5 divided by 0.97 = 6.7 so dial 6.75. Easy to set up spreadsheet for your drop chart and apply factor to all the come ups then round to nearest moa value.
    Then validate your calcs and rifle set up, zero etc at range, like 500 or 600 yards. This might lead to further tweaking of your come up values, or your zero might not be quite what you think it is, or BC not quite right, etc
    Tahr, mattstr and Moa Hunter like this.

Basically, the correction factor doesn't matter as you won't be able to shoot a hunting rifle good enough to notice a difference anyhow
    270 is a harmonic divisor number[1]
    270 is the fourth number that is divisible by its average integer divisor[2]
    270 is a practical number, by the second definition
    The sum of the coprime counts for the first 29 integers is 270
    270 is a sparsely totient number, the largest integer with 72 as its totient
    Given 6 elements, there are 270 square permutations[3]
    10! has 270 divisors
    270 is the smallest positive integer that has divisors ending by digits 1, 2, …, 9.

HBhunter
    Thanks a lot for your reply’s much appreciated. Il definitely look into the shooter app. Thanks @chainsaw a fair bit to digest there and a bit to think about. @ryansonghurst I had quite different information showing I have however since worked out that I verified my data at 400yards with a 13degree incline and this has impacted my data.

Yeah shooter ap, when setting up the rifle side put IPHY for elevation unit, then put 1.025 as the elevation correction factor, job tidy
    mattstr likes this.

StrelokPro has SMOA .
    mattstr likes this.

Strelok pro has the ability to adjust the click unit to anything you want.

I dont think Swaros are true inch per 100 or true MOA either.
    mattstr likes this.

HBhunter
    Thanks I’ve checked out both apps and have ended up going with strelock. Providing the rain stays away Il hit the range tonight and validate and see how everything’s looking before I go even more in-depth. I’m using the coloured dial up system atm but there’s a high chance Il change over to MOA dial.
    PipIstrelle likes this.

HBhunter
    Thanks again for all your help. Have been out and validated all my data. Checked at a few different ranges between 300- 500 and absolutely spot on. Bags are packed and into the hills this afternoon.
    Moa Hunter and PipIstrelle like this.