Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By mucko
  • 1 Post By veitnamcam
  • 4 Post By dogmatix

Thread: Ballistics compare/search

LBD

Ballistics compare/search

A relatively newby on this forum...

I am looking for a place/page/website/program or repository of publicly accessible info on ballistic characteristics of different rounds...

Some place I can compare whatever I fancy ie...
    6.5 CM vs 260
    7mm vs 308
    22 lr vs .500 BMG

Using the search tool on here searching Ballistics naturally brought up a gazzilion hits... so could some one direct me please?

Thanks

I can compare the .22nd vars 50 big it is a rabbit stew with the 22 and a mess left on the side of the hill with the 50 bmg

I just googled balistic caliber comparator and had a heap of hits

JBM
    veitnamcam likes this.
    Muckos Shooting accessories and engineering https://www.facebook.com/aimnzengineering/

JBM as above is good if you know roughly the speeds/projectiles etc.

If you have no idea best to go to one of the manufacturers sites like hornady/Winchester etc and compare cartridges. they will be ball bark figures and in some cases very optomistic so keep that in mind.
    mucko likes this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

LBD
    Mucko... thanks.

260 REM... its only stew if you can find any bits...

Gibo... I thought there may be something on this site... But Mucko's JBM link looks a good one.

Cheers

Bagheera, mucko, POME and 1 others like this.
    Welcome to Sako club.

also check www.huntingnut and look at pointblank online found in box top left side of main screen...you put in the data and it will draw pretty picture for you.....so simple even I can use it.

I use Hornady "Ballistic resource" when I am comparing calibres. Ballistics Resource - Hornady Manufacturing, Inc and their data on each ammo they have listed for sale.

So if I want to know the difference in performance between a 223 and a 22/250 or 243 etc their loads etc are a good indicator. Different loads, powders etc. Whether it equates to your obtained performance etc when you load there will be variations, but as a comparison for choosing one calibre over another it is very helpful.

And if you do have all the data for your load, such as FPS, BC weight etc then their calculator seems to work well enough for anything I do with it.
    Ballistics Calculator - Hornady Manufacturing, Inc

I look at the ADI reloading catalogue ( ADI Powders Handloaders' Guide ) and check out an average of the best two or three max loads for each cartridge. Not to say you'll get the same performance in every gun but its a level playing field for comparison. ADI don't have their own cartridges so are probably fairly impartial.

Then go to a bullet makers site and pull the BC for similar style bullets eg Hornady AMAX or Nosler Ballistic tip in a the calibers and weights. you're interested in. Again, they could be exaggerated but probably reasonably comparable across different calibers within the same manufacturer.

Then go to the JBM site and plug in the MV and BC and see what you get. G7 BC is recommended for actual use in the field for longer ranges but G1 figures are easier to get hold of and perfectly adequate for comparing cartridges.

Wikipedia has ballpark information on a lot of calibers but could be subject to overenthusiasm by the last person who edited each entry.

Hardcopy reloading manuals like Nosler, Hornady, NIck Harvey's, etc have a bit of history and discussion about each caliber but of course can be biased.