Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Black Watch


User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 22
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: BARNES IN 6.5 GRENDEL

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Kingcountry
    Posts
    2,698

    BARNES IN 6.5 GRENDEL

    Anyone tried 100 or 120 Barnes in the 6.5 Grendel. Also thinking of 130 gr Berger.

  2. #2
    Member Mathias's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Canterbury, home of the big Rakaia Red Stag
    Posts
    3,169
    @Pommy share your knowledge on hard bullets in the 6.5G

    Sent from my SM-A530F using Tapatalk

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Blenhiem
    Posts
    822
    Being a Grendel I’d say the lighter 100gr would be the go on deer and pigs at around 2700-2800 fps.
    tetawa, 57jl and Pommy like this.

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Kingcountry
    Posts
    2,698
    Quote Originally Posted by tikka View Post
    Being a Grendel I’d say the lighter 100gr would be the go on deer and pigs at around 2700-2800 fps.
    Use Barnes a lot in other calibers, was wondering if the case could produce enough velocity for the 100 let alone the 120. 300 metres would be a long shot.
    Gkp likes this.

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    auckland
    Posts
    2,163
    I wouldn't myself. The 123gr sst would be my choice. Berger would work well would think.
    superdiver likes this.

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    Christchurch
    Posts
    549
    Sorry, no real world experience with them. Got 4 from a sample pack loaded for novelty more than anything. Will save them for the next rhino I encounter in the bush.

    Defo stick with the 100 grainer. Faster the better. Assuming about 2700 mv then that'll keep impact velocity up above 2000fps out to about 250m.

    Gonna have less shock and a smaller wound channel than the 7mm's and 30cals driven out of an 08 case obviously. Don't see any reason they won't kill well with a good shoulder shot though.
    takbok likes this.
    Resident 6.5 Grendel aficionado.

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Kingcountry
    Posts
    2,698
    Quote Originally Posted by Pommy View Post
    Sorry, no real world experience with them. Got 4 from a sample pack loaded for novelty more than anything. Will save them for the next rhino I encounter in the bush.

    Defo stick with the 100 grainer. Faster the better. Assuming about 2700 mv then that'll keep impact velocity up above 2000fps out to about 250m.

    Gonna have less shock and a smaller wound channel than the 7mm's and 30cals driven out of an 08 case obviously. Don't see any reason they won't kill well with a good shoulder shot though.
    Have used Barnes for 20 odd years in 223,243 and 270, found they aiways did the job if you did yours, will get a sample pack at 100 gr
    takbok likes this.

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    100
    Quote Originally Posted by tetawa View Post
    Have used Barnes for 20 odd years in 223,243 and 270, found they aiways did the job if you did yours, will get a sample pack at 100 gr
    It will be interesting to hear how you get on with them.

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2020
    Location
    Whanganui
    Posts
    58
    ive been using 85 grs in mine out to 320yds,do like the 90 gr tnt,absolute death on hoppies and ok on deer,just dont hit bone

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Kingcountry
    Posts
    2,698
    Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Fog View Post
    ive been using 85 grs in mine out to 320yds,do like the 90 gr tnt,absolute death on hoppies and ok on deer,just dont hit bone
    I sometimes come on big bodied reds, was keen to try the Barnes and 130 Berger, will tune up a few goats with them first to get an idea on what's happening expansion wise.

  11. #11
    Member northdude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    north auckland area
    Posts
    9,060
    That sounds just wrong

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    auckland
    Posts
    2,163
    I think you'd get more joy with something more frangable. 123gr sst or eldm would be like Paua and cream for a grendel I would think.
    You would shoot more animals than I would in your rohe but I'd think the barnes would limit your quick kill range at grendel speeds.
    In saying that I'd be happy if you went out and sacked a big red at 200m with the barnes.

  13. #13
    Member 300_BLK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Central North Island
    Posts
    2,616
    Stick with the 123gr bullets that were specifically designed for it.

    The hard stuff just pencils through...
    Warm Barrels!

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Kingcountry
    Posts
    2,698
    Quote Originally Posted by stevodog View Post
    I think you'd get more joy with something more frangable. 123gr sst or eldm would be like Paua and cream for a grendel I would think.
    You would shoot more animals than I would in your rohe but I'd think the barnes would limit your quick kill range at grendel speeds.
    In saying that I'd be happy if you went out and sacked a big red at 200m with the barnes.
    Don't want them for everyday use, just when the right situation arises,

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Kingcountry
    Posts
    2,698
    Quote Originally Posted by 300_BLK View Post
    Stick with the 123gr bullets that were specifically designed for it.

    The hard stuff just pencils through...
    Will for 95% of the rifles use.

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Box of 6.5 Grendel for .357 mag
    By dudz in forum Projectile and Factory Ammo Exchange
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 30-08-2019, 09:28 PM
  2. WTB: 6.5 Grendel
    By Spanners in forum Buy, Sell or Swap
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 25-01-2019, 08:18 PM
  3. WTB: 6.5 Grendel FL die set
    By Beavis in forum Buy, Sell or Swap
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-06-2018, 02:56 PM
  4. 6.5 grendel
    By rambo-6mmrem in forum Firearms, Optics and Accessories
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 15-02-2017, 05:32 PM
  5. Grendel
    By steven in forum Reloading and Ballistics
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 11-11-2015, 11:18 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Welcome to NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums! We see you're new here, or arn't logged in. Create an account, and Login for full access including our FREE BUY and SELL section Register NOW!!