Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Bedding.....who bothers??

AB Precision

Bedding.....who bothers??

Just bored in my motel after day away an tomorrow brought the 243 witch only bore sited popped an deer this evening on dush at a cockey farm for the work do

Any way here i an bored...........cabbin feaver again........................

How beds there own rifles??
    How pays to have it done??
    An how even bothers??

Here is the 243, witch i did the rush job on but still come up ok... an seams to shoot still but bedding this rifle made no noticble difference

But in some makes a big diference, an i think for the time it takes an effort would be silly not to??? thoughts???
    Do you do full bed? or just front? or just front an rear an miss the middle?

Whats bedding do?
    VIVA LA HOWA

Settels the action in a stress free environment, if factory bedding is bad it can twist/bend the action and/or it could move with every shot.

I did my girls 243 and it went from 1.5-2moa to half/1/4 moa with no other changes
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Only if it needs it, bedded the 7mm, home job, made a huge difference in a boyds stock.
    The .223 shot teeny tiny groups out the box so if it ain't broke don't fix it!

Looking to bed and put crossbolts on my cz550 .375, not for accuracy but to prevent the stock from ever splitting.
    "Here's the deal I'm the best there is. Plain and simple. I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence."

Its the first rifle Iv ever had that i thought needed bedding,and it did.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Quote Originally Posted by Toby View Post
    Whats bedding do?
    Keeps you warm when the wifes away
    Wirehunt, veitnamcam and steven like this.
    Real guns start with the number 3 or bigger and make two holes, one in and one out

Caretaker
    Tuiman, what was the difference on this rifle in action distortion measured after bedding?

Depending on where the inaccuracy in the bedding is i redo the bedding job if its more than 3-4 thou.
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    That is why I don't come into these threads. Thought this was about taking sleeping bags into the bush. Bloody over my head.
    Wirehunt likes this.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Quote Originally Posted by Toby View Post
    Whats bedding do?
    Its supposed to improve accuracy, but Ive yet to find a piece that tells me why convincingly. My 2 cents is I suspect it changes the rifles resonance. I think the bedding connects the stock to the action better dampening the vibration when the gun fires.

i am with rushy, i know my sleeping bags

Impure Lead Flinger
    Im pretty sure something like 5 thou or less is very acceptable its distortion of 20 thou that becomes a problem... sounds pedantic to me Andrew!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by baldbob View Post
    Im pretty sure something like 5 thou or less is very acceptable its distortion of 20 thou that becomes a problem... sounds pedantic to me Andrew!!!!
    You would feel 20 thou when you pulled it up? Does it make a diff to every calibre and velocity ie .22 and my black powder rifles?

One advantage of bedding the action into the stock is that it keeps that contact more consistant. I have had rifles bedded not so much to improve accuracy but to make sure if i take the action out of the stock, when it goes back in, it seats almost the same and only needs a click or two of scope adjustment to re-zero.

I do on tupperware stocks - I find it stops the flex in them, especially if you happen to use a bipod.

I like to see the whites of their eyes, so bedding would be wasted on me. My tupperware stock has done OK to 250 meters on the odd occassion I need to shoot that far. I reckon I would need to tune my technique first before tuning the rifle.
    Everyone is entitled to their own stupid opinion