Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By ANTSMAN

Thread: Bergara 308 ?

Bergara 308 ?

Thinking of purchasing a Bergara take down in 308. My thoughts about reloading it, wanting to use 125 Seirra prohunters. With this projectile weight I feel the 1/12 twist would be better.
    The 1/12 rifle comes standard with a 20inch barrel but I would prefer the 16.5 inch barrel, hope to get the 125s up to about 2800 fps. Have to redo the thread anyway to take my suppressor.
    Appreciate any feed back

Gone but not forgotten
    What suppressor do you have?
    The 16.5 inch Bergara might not take an standard overbarrel without some modification - you wouldn't want to chop a 20 inch and thread it to then find out your suppressor doesn't fit!

DPT make a mini-centrefire version for the Bergara's, the overbarrel section is a bit shorter than the standard.

I haven't tried 125 grain bullets in mine, but 150's and 160's go fine.

DPT standard Suppressor, inside of suppressor is 22.5 mm and depth is 95mm, would this work?

In this time of having to explore the limits of component availability your plan is a sound one. @akaroa1 and I are both running TC "single shot" Contenders in 6.8 SPC's (110's gns at about 2750 fps, Davids suppressed at 6lbs scoped, mine not and closer to 7 lbs scoped) and they have proven deadly with simple "cup and core" projectiles on a variety of game and in an extreme example, at fairly extended range - David shot a big red hind at 350M. Last weekend we shot pigs (172M and 125M) and several wallabies, all with emphatic kills.

I feel there isn't much need to shorten the barrel to extremes, these single shot's are already very compact with a 23" barrel unsuppressed and a 20" suppressed.

Gone but not forgotten
    Quote Originally Posted by flock View Post
    DPT standard Suppressor, inside of suppressor is 22.5 mm and depth is 95mm, would this work?
    I don't know, I'll have a measure up tomorrow, but I know others with a standard DPT have had to cut a couple of cm off the front of the fore-end of the Bergara. DPT made the mini-centrefire for the Bergara and one other rifle that I can't remember.

Quote Originally Posted by Cigar View Post
    I don't know, I'll have a measure up tomorrow, but I know others with a standard DPT have had to cut a couple of cm off the front of the fore-end of the Bergara. DPT made the mini-centrefire for the Bergara and one other rifle that I can't remember.
    He's put suppressors on heaps of Bergara TD's. Just buy a few extra baffles: 16.5 inch can be loud with just the standard amount.

Gone but not forgotten
    I had a measure, the 16.5 Bergara is 108mm muzzle to front of fore end, the DPT mini-centrefire comes back 95mm from muzzle, leaving a 13mm gap.
    I recently bought another 2 baffles, haven’t been to the range yet to see the difference in sound or zero. The neoprene cover now fits better and suggests overall length is now similar to a standard DPT.

Greetings flock,
    I thought I would be cunning and screw my over barrel DPT suppressor onto my 20" Bergara to give some measurements but no go, the barrel is thicker. I use a muzzle forward on the Bergara and it is still a short rifle with it and I wonder if it needs to be any shorter. Recent tests with 125 grain Speer TNT and 47 grains of AR8208, AR2206 (now discontinued) and AR2206H gave 2,950, 2,940 and 2,900 fps respectively in my 20" barrelled M700 all with decent accuracy. 2,800 fps should be possible in either length barrel.
    Regards Grandpamac.

I have one of these for sale soon. Suppressed with DPT shorter supp.
    16 inch fast twist.
    I'm in Wellington.

PM me mate if keen.

Quote Originally Posted by flock View Post
    Thinking of purchasing a Bergara take down in 308. My thoughts about reloading it, wanting to use 125 Seirra prohunters. With this projectile weight I feel the 1/12 twist would be better.
    The 1/12 rifle comes standard with a 20inch barrel but I would prefer the 16.5 inch barrel, hope to get the 125s up to about 2800 fps. Have to redo the thread anyway to take my suppressor.
    Appreciate any feed back
    bigbear likes this.