Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Donald
  • 3 Post By Micky Duck

Thread: Berger .277 170gr projectiles

Berger .277 170gr projectiles

Hey all,

Has anyone worked with these new 170gr projectiles at all. Thinking it would be a good bullet to run in a WSM. My guess is it will definitely need a 1-9" twist though which I see very few of.

Thoughts?

I tried the 165gn .277 Matrix VLD Hunting projectiles and they also needed a faster twist than the standard 1 in 11" .270 and 270WSM barrels.
    Best I could get through my Sako was 1.34 MOA, as they were unstable, so gave up on them.

I am thinking the Bergers would be the same.
    Welcome to Sako club.

It seems Berger recommend a 1 in 8" twist and with a G7 BC of 0.339 these things if are made to go fast enough look pretty interesting, now I just need to buy another rifle.

Brings about the question, where does one find a fast twist .277 barrel. If these could be pushed to 2950 ish from a wsm, it would be very interesting.
    Bugbait likes this.

sneakywaza I got
    You gotta be twist appropriate , tried 139gn hp boatails a friend swaged up specially for my 2506 and .257Wby, both on a 10 twist, unstable, worked out we needed 8, .270 the same for the heavier bullets, realistically the .277 150gn Berger and SST will kill anything we hunt out at 500yds no drama , if you are hunting Grizzlies, get a bigger gun.

I understand bullet weight / length and the required twist. What I want to know is if anyone has used these yet as I think these are getting close to 180gr 7mm performance out of a more readily available wsm case. I don't want to get into a 7mm vs 270 debate, that has been done hundreds of times. I ran a few calculations through Strelok, based on theoretical velocities and am impressed at the trajectory and the hitting power beyond 500 yards.

Name:  IMG_2293.JPG
Views: 293
Size:  115.8 KBhehehehehe Ive been using 170 grn in .270 for years,no stability problems out of std case and std barrel twist...but they BIG FAT round nose speers that look like a sausage,my old mod 70 lightweight will poke them into inch group as hot as I can push them...pity I cant find anymore as they give great confidence in tight bush country.
    jakewire, tikka and Bugbait like this.

oh yeah nearly forgot...Donald me old bean the .270 IS 7mmName:  IMG_2295.JPG
Views: 276
Size:  119.6 KB

As much as I like to use high BC bullets the 150gr LRAB's is the best that my Finnlite can handle. If I was to change the barrel it was be a 16" .284win running 162gr A-Max's. It should have the same speed and BC as the 270 and have a 5" shorter barrel.