Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Best 7.62x39 subsonic loads and tips

an update, I was planning to chop my mag then re-weld together as I have a tig ect, but I came up with a far better option, I chopped it to almost flush, then I simply put it upside down in the vice with aprox 1mm protruding out the top of the vice, I then used a flat punch and carefully hammered the edge over it looks like a factory job, really happy, I have also bought me some trail boss and some 151gr lead projectiles from trademe and loaded them to 8.5grs, tomorrow I will test my new weapon, I look forward to it, fingers crossed the weather holds out.

Name:  20180714_210800.jpg
Views: 823
Size:  4.52 MB

Name:  20180714_232806.jpg
Views: 823
Size:  4.07 MB

Very neat idea with the mag. How many does it hold now? 3? Did you shorten the spring? I started having a tutu with one, but the follower got very "divey"
    Identify your target beyond all doubt

Yea I also shortened the spring, it only holds two in the mag, but one up the spout and two in the mag is fine with me, not often a second shot is needed let alone a third, its so much more comfortable to carry now, yes my follower was rather divey at first, but I have been playing a bit and have nearly got it right, it cycles fine currently but I am yet to do a final pull down and smooth of any rough factory edges.

I could possibly modify it more to hold 3, I could maybe cut the spring down a tad more or even look at a different spring all together, and then maybe do something with the follower to allow it to drop further down

Shortend the spring a tad more and had a bit of a play with the follower, now holds 3 rounds and cycles great, unfortunately raining here today so wont be able to test my first reloads Name:  20180715_085021.jpg
Views: 837
Size:  5.41 MB
    Tommy likes this.

Perfect, well done
    Identify your target beyond all doubt

Those projectiles look brutal. How far does the hollow point go back?
    RIP Harry F. 29/04/20

the hollow measures at 2.5mm and tapers down to a point approximately 5mm down

seat your bullet out further, as far as the magazine will allow

leave them alone if they work well.mine seat a liitle less deep but I go deep enough to keep the lubed groove inside the case...I believe you will still be supersonic at 8 grns and will be right down to closer to 6grns. poked a couple of these out of my 08 yesterday and they just as much fun out of that as the x39.
    plurry tidy job on the mag.
    KaneB likes this.

Thanks for the tip mate, im new to reloading and still yet to test them, could you please explain the benefits of seating the projectiles to the length of the mag vs seating the projectile lower, I also have some high velocity projectiles I plan on loading once I get this rifle sorted so all tips and info are welcome. Thanks
    Micky Duck likes this.

The 7.62x39 does not use a 308 projectile but .312"diam'and shooting a 308 lead bullet requires the bullet to bump up to fit the barrel which causes bullet deformity and usually leading of the barrel. The Norinco JW103 has a fairly loose chamber with a steep leade to the rifling. If you use an undersized bullet set back from the rifling in a sloppy chamber the bullet case and projectile are not lined up with the bore and when fired will deform as it enters the bore and unless it bumps up to fill the rifling will then rattle down the barrel with an offset center of gravity which when it exits the barrel will cause a deviation as it then follows the true center of gravity. Seating the bullet further towards the rifling straightens the cartridge up in the chamber and normally improves accuracy. If you take a fired unsized case and fit a projectile in it you will see how much play there is in the chamber. I shoot 205 grain lead bullet sized .314 (1.5 to 2 thou over bore diam) into 1" at 100m(on a good day) .I seat the bullet out as far as the mag allows. I use unique and AP50 with good results.

Quote Originally Posted by Max Headroom View Post
    Those projectiles look brutal. How far does the hollow point go back?
    Here is one recovered from a goat shot at 40 metres velocity 1021FPS, Name:  IMG_20180612_075929.jpg
Views: 587
Size:  400.0 KB
    I size them .310" so they will work in .308 win and 7.62x39 the 39 bore diameter is .300" groove diameter is .310" the .308 win is .300 x .308"
    cast bullets generally require .001" over groove diameter to seal properly, if you use Trail Boss powder it has the same burn rate and pressure curve
    as Black Powder and gives the bullet a hefty boot in the base to obturate it into the rifling, Don't try loading much above 1100FPS in the 7.62x39
    it will more than likely strip lead from the bullet and foul the barrel, So far no one has complained to me about getting any lead fouling with these bullets.
    bigbugger, Tommy and Micky Duck like this.