Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Black Powder Casting.

Black Powder Casting.

I just came across these lead Ingots on TM. $23.00. Description - 3 Lead Ingots 11/12 BHN.
    Each weigh 920 grams average, Total weight 2.76 kg, 11-12 BHN, Size 80mm x 50mm x 25mm each on average
    Clean & Fluxed

Would be interested to no from others more knowledgeable in casting Muzzleloading balls, if these Ingots would be ok and approx how many could be cast from this quantity of lead. Would it be cost affective. Obviously for a box of 100 Hornady 50cal lead balls being arround $38.00. + $12.00 Shipping, so $50.00. Hmmmmmmmmmmm

Name:  Screenshot_20230604-124942_Trade Me.jpg
Views: 168
Size:  501.8 KB

You gotta factor in the hobby/fun aspect of casting though!!
    rossi.45 likes this.
    Use enough gun

Quote Originally Posted by 40mm View Post
    You gotta factor in the hobby/fun aspect of casting though!!
    Oh I totally Agree, (40mm). Absolutely just, curious to no how many balls do folks think could be cast. Lol, I suppose one could just do the math but where's the fun in posting that. Trying to create muzzleloading dialogue lol.

BSA
    For round ball/muzzleloader ideally you want pure lead. Those would be good for casting bullets for cartridge either BP or Smokeless.
    Tasbay and Skeet like this.

I buy lead scrap from the metal recyclers for $2/kg. I use it straight after metling it down and making ingots for muzzleloaders in both round ball and Lee REAL bullets.
    I have also been using it straight in black powder 45-70 and haven't noticed any lead fouling or issues in casting.

For round ball you want old Plumbers or roofing lead. Scrap metal merchant or Re-roofing business. If you can scratch it with your finger nail it should be ok for Round ball and Minie Balls. That all said I shoot any lead as round ball, Wheel weights- Lead head nails.

Quote Originally Posted by BSA View Post
    For round ball/muzzleloader ideally you want pure lead. Those would be good for casting bullets for cartridge either BP or Smokeless.
    Thanks BSA, So these would be no good for casting balls.

87 per kg at 178gr per 50cal ball. Those ingots will be too hard you just want soft roofing lead.

Quote Originally Posted by Tasbay View Post
    For round ball you want old Plumbers or roofing lead. Scrap metal merchant or Re-roofing business. If you can scratch it with your finger nail it should be ok for Round ball and Minie Balls. That all said I shoot any lead as round ball, Wheel weights- Lead head nails.
    Thanks Tasbay. I'm a little Confused, as you said you would shoot any lead as a round ball. Are u in agreement with (BSA) in that the lead as pictured would not be ok to cast as balls, or that it's not an ideal lead to use but it could still be used. What damage if any would it cause or is it more a matter of causing fowling in the rifling or being to hard to utilize the rifling or both.

Quote Originally Posted by NZ32 View Post
    87 per kg at 178gr per 50cal ball. Those ingots will be too hard you just want soft roofing lead.

That just answered my question I just posted. Thanks NZ32.

Quote Originally Posted by Skeet View Post
    I just came across these lead Ingots on TM. $23.00. Description - 3 Lead Ingots 11/12 BHN.
    Each weigh 920 grams average, Total weight 2.76 kg, 11-12 BHN, Size 80mm x 50mm x 25mm each on average
    Clean & Fluxed

Would be interested to no from others more knowledgeable in casting Muzzleloading balls, if these Ingots would be ok and approx how many could be cast from this quantity of lead.
    The BHN in the listing is Brinnell Hardness. Pure Lead is 5.00 so he has alloyed these ingots/
    920 grams would give approximately 172 38 cal, 102 45 cal, 50 58 cal.
    As pointed out, you need pure lead for your application.
    Name:  SmartSelect_20230604_165159_Chrome.jpg
Views: 136
Size:  332.7 KB

BSA
    Quote Originally Posted by Skeet View Post
    Thanks BSA, So these would be no good for casting balls.
    Personally I wouldn't. Pure lead for round ball, 12-16 BHN for my Pistol bullets and for my BP Cartridge Rifles (45-70 & 38-55) I opt for 20:1 Lead/Tin mix but that's not a hard & fast rule, just what gives me my best results. Scour the 2nd hand shops for Pewter mugs etc for the Tin component. I'm not fussed with Antimony but if using Linotype it will be in it, also beware of Zinc in Wheel-weights. Hope this doesn't confuse you. Casting your own is very addictive. Enjoy, have fun and don't be shy experimenting.

Quote Originally Posted by BSA View Post
    Personally I wouldn't. Pure lead for round ball, 12-16 BHN for my Pistol bullets and for my BP Cartridge Rifles (45-70 & 38-55) I opt for 20:1 Lead/Tin mix but that's not a hard & fast rule, just what gives me my best results. Scour the 2nd hand shops for Pewter mugs etc for the Tin component. I'm not fussed with Antimony but if using Linotype it will be in it, also beware of Zinc in Wheel-weights. Hope this doesn't confuse you. Casting your own is very addictive. Enjoy, have fun and don't be shy experimenting.

Fantastic thanks very much.

Quote Originally Posted by zimmer View Post
    The BHN in the listing is Brinnell Hardness. Pure Lead is 5.00 so he has alloyed these ingots/
    920 grams would give approximately 172 38 cal, 102 45 cal, 50 58 cal.
    As pointed out, you need pure lead for your application.
    Attachment 225770

Thanks for that. Makes sense.