Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine DPT

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
Like Tree199Likes

Thread: Brass damage ?? Help

Brass damage ?? Help

By the way, it wasn't until I got into reloading myself that I realised how much risk I was subjecting myself (and friends/family etc) to, when shooting ammo I'd paid a well known NZ commercial reloader to load up for me.
    We place a LOT of blind trust in ammunition manufacturers/commercial reloaders and my experience ensures I'll never trust anyone else's reloads again.

I found 6.5x55 brass in with my 7-08!! Luckily the bolt wouldn't close, alerting me to the error. Where did my other 7-08 brass go? Another customer perhaps? I'm pretty sure a 7-08 case will close in a 6.5x55 action. Gulp!

Some cases were over length and should've been trimmed.
    Some loads (different brand brass) were bolt jamming hot and I blamed my shooting position when the rifle jumped almost completely out of my control with some shots...not to mention the sore shoulder.

Once I started reading up on all the basic rules of metallic reloading, I was shocked at how lucky I (or a mate) was not to have been seriously injured by his complacency.

Never again
    Last edited by Hunt4life; 30-05-2017 at 11:13 PM.

Okidoke everyone this issue has now been resolved, the rifle was sent to the gunsmith for a check up . His measurements came up really good actually he said the headspace was at a high tolerance which is a good thing apparently and the bolt was nothing out of the ordinary. Both rifle shops that I deal with were also not concerned so there we go . All is good . Free rifle inspection and a free pack of different ammo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    P38, Gibo and Frogfeatures like this.

MSL
    Haha

Sorry I wouldn't accept that. I would expect a replacement rifle from one of the parties involved. What would have happened if you had lost an eye or worse?

Quote Originally Posted by nor-west View Post
    Sorry I wouldn't accept that. I would expect a replacement rifle from one of the parties involved. What would have happened if you had lost an eye or worse?
    Totally
    Dan M

Quote Originally Posted by nor-west View Post
    I know where you guys are coming from but Really I need to stick with the professionals opinions over the internet guys opinions. They think that the rifle is fine and I really can't see a problem myself . The gunsmith was a really experienced guy.

P38 likes this.

Would you accept it if your car had been permanently damaged by something you had added to it?
    Consumer guarantees act should see you right.
    Your choice though, good luck trying to sell your rifle if you ever decide to. The bolt damage will take hundreds of dollars off the resale value, if anyone did decide to buy it.
    veitnamcam and Tommy like this.

Quote Originally Posted by stug View Post
    Would you accept it if your car had been permanently damaged by something you had added to it?
    Consumer guarantees act should see you right.
    Your choice though, good luck trying to sell your rifle if you ever decide to. The bolt damage will take hundreds of dollars off the resale value, if anyone did decide to buy it.
    But there is no damage done that was the whole point in getting it looked at and all second hand rifles have etching on the bolt face so I don't see any problem? The bolt has no damage, the headspace is perfect. The brass has the only damage...........

Your boltface has been etched hasn't it? I have second hand rifle that have shot hundreds of rounds and none have an etched bolt face. A friend bought a second hand 375 H&H with an etched boltface (that was not as bad as yours), he paid about $400 less than you would expect for the rifle

Quote Originally Posted by stug View Post
    Your boltface has been etched hasn't it? I have second hand rifle that have shot hundreds of rounds and none have an etched bolt face. A friend bought a second hand 375 H&H with an etched boltface (that was not as bad as yours), he paid about $400 less than you would expect for the rifle
    All used browning x bolts have this etching from the precision headspace this is what 2 shops and the gunsmith have told me . And both shops showed me examples of there second hand x bolts .

Quote Originally Posted by pepper123 View Post
    Hi folks
    Just been up the range this arvo and I've used half a box of Hornady 168grain (308) . So the issue I have had is the brass is getting damaged by the bolt and 2 of the primers have turned a bluey dusty colour and the bolt is very sticky when unloading. Otherwise it's fine with the Winchester 150grain. The rifle is browning X bolt (308) . Here's a pic aswell

I'm curious, You have brass damaged by the bolt, if you continue firing the gun and continue to get damaged brass and more etching on your bolt face, then what?
    My apologies if this has been covered already.

edit to add,
    I just googled "browning x bolt, bolt face etching" and the only relevant post I found was the one below and Winchester admitted the fault lay with them and replaced the guys bolt. This was from reloads using Winchester primers so may not be relevant?

Quote Originally Posted by ROKTOY View Post
    I'm curious, You have brass damaged by the bolt, if you continue firing the gun and continue to get damaged brass and more etching on your bolt face, then what?
    My apologies if this has been covered already.
    So the problem was a bad load of hornady and the brass was expanding like hell making it difficult to unload. All other ammunition fired since then has been perfect

Unfortunately they did the typical NZ retailer trick and fobbed you off. They should at least give you a new bolt and have it fitted.
    Dougie and Tommy like this.

Quote Originally Posted by 300CALMAN View Post
    Unfortunately they did the typical NZ retailer trick and fobbed you off. They should at least give you a new bolt and have it fitted.
    Yes you have been played..
    Young wipper snapper

Sent from my SM-G800Y using Tapatalk
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

MSL
    Quote Originally Posted by pepper123 View Post
    All used browning x bolts have this etching from the precision headspace this is what 2 shops and the gunsmith have told me . And both shops showed me examples of there second hand x bolts .

Is this a joke?
    'Etching from precision headspace'
    I'll make sure I get the gunsmith to build my next custom with non precision/sloppy headspace so I don't get bolt etching