Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Brass tight in chamber

Looks like you need a small base die, as for the ring could be either...Section one is the best way to see/tell if it is thinning above the web.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

most dies will only size 95% of the way down your case. i use a paper clip or a piece of mig wire with the tip cut sharp and bent at a 90. run it on the inside of the case and you will feel it catch on the "inner ring" if the head is not far off letting go.

Caretaker
    Send me a pm, and your brass, i can measure it up and have a good look at it

I can try it in any one of three chambers here to see where the problem is.

I can size it with a small base die and send it back to you at no charge to you.
    DAF, puku, veitnamcam and 6 others like this.
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

Link
    Cheers mate will do

Measure the point where the marks are compared to an easy chambering one..... put the measurements up here
    #BallisticFists

Btw has the rifle always done this or are you just experiencing this with old brass if so theres your problem
    #BallisticFists

Link
    Yea mate just old brass

Quote Originally Posted by Mauser308 View Post
    Looks like it could be an incipient case head separation, but where you might be having the issue is with two forms of the problem both brass flow forwards and case head expansion. The expansion of the case head is what gives you the stickiness, but the flow forward could be giving you the next problem in line even if you small base size.

When you seat the pill are some tight and some easier to seat? If so, likely that the brass is telling you a story. How are the primer pockets? Possibly time to bin the lot because if it's going in that direction, even if you cull out the imminent failures the consistency could be going as well...

It would appear the forum spirit is alive and well and brass is off to 7mmsaum
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

A likely explanation is that you need to wind down the sizing die a bit more.
    My experience (7mm 08) is that it took 3 or 4 loads before a few of my cases started getting tight to chamber. I had set the die to reach down to just touch the shell holder then loosened it off 1/4 turn. Wrong move ! in fact I needed to tighten it up a quarter turn beyond where it bottomed out. The press stretches a little as it compresses the case. Once I did this the cases fit easily and continued to fit for another 10 firings.

To measure how far the die is sizing the case you need to measure the length from a "datum" on the shoulder to the base. As well as calipers, you need a ring of standard diameter (.400" for .308 win family)which sits on the shoulder. At the other end, it helps to have a flat "anvil base" to fit onto the caliper arm. This base to shoulder-datum length is called the case headspace dimension to distinguish it from the chamber headspace dimension.

Most full length dies only size the body down to about 2-3 mm from the base (as vartarg says). This is because the case body only stretches (expands) for the front part. The base, often reinforced a bit, seldom expands unless pressures are really excessive. In that situation, the primer pocket also stretches and the primers fall out . So, it's unlikely your base diameter has stretched beyond SAAMI specs. When working up loads some people will measure this base diameter just above the rim and below the shiny line and if it increases more than 0.001" its a sign the load is too hot (IMHO, that piece of brass is dodgy afterwards). Also, as you fire the and resize the case several times, the junction between where its restretched and resized down and the unstretched unsized base gets work hardened, thinned and appears as a bright ring. Eventually it will separate there. You can feel the thinning on the inside with a paperclip, also as as described by VARTARG. However, all reloaded cases show some shininess there, about 2mm above the base and it doesn't mean they are about to separate or need to be chucked away.

My experience is with 7mm08 and milder cartridges I understand the 7mm SAUM is a different kettle of fish so will be interested to hear from 7mmsaum what he finds with your cases.
    nevereadyfreddy likes this.