Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Bullet Seating depth and pressure (6.5 Grendel)

I'm trying the Grendel to get a lighter weight rifle overall but the shorter length is a dream to carry.
    I reckon if you can manage a 20" barrel you're better to use some of the length and weight to step up to a 260Rem which even in an 18" or 16" barrel would outperform the Grendel. So its "go short or go home" with the 6.5G.
    Mathias and Pete_D like this.

Just to report back we loaded up some more and went hunting last weekend with all rounds seated back at 2.250 COAL (previously 2.260) and the same charge of 27.7gr. 8208 and no visible ejector swipe or pressure signs.
    So in my case seated just a tad closer to the lands seemed to create a pressure spike.
    Thanks for your help guys.
    Bagheera and Steelisreal like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete_D View Post
    Just to report back we loaded up some more and went hunting last weekend with all rounds seated back at 2.250 COAL (previously 2.260) and the same charge of 27.7gr. 8208 and no visible ejector swipe or pressure signs.
    So in my case seated just a tad closer to the lands seemed to create a pressure spike.
    Thanks for your help guys.
    I just read back through the thread - unless I missed it, it doesn't sound like you measured the throat for maximum base to ogive dimension?

The Hornady tool with the threaded cases do a reasonable job of sorting this out (with consistent technique) using the bullet in question. I've found it does pay to check with different projectiles as the dimensions can be subtly different and might be important if you have a cramped magazine or are trying to avoid seating into the case too much.
    Pete_D likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Steelisreal View Post
    I just read back through the thread - unless I missed it, it doesn't sound like you measured the throat for maximum base to ogive dimension?
    I did roughly measure the lands with a fired case but it was clear the magazine length was going to be the limiting factor so didn't get too concerned at the time but I was not thinking about pressure. Now I know.
    Steelisreal likes this.