Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree65Likes

Thread: Bullets

So you have the "shoulders", "neck" and "mouth" up one end ... and the "head" at the butt? I get the confusion.

Remember the Naked Gun films? The posters contained the sort of drooling idiocy born out of people referring to cartridges as bullets. After all, bullets fly, right?

Name:  leslie-nielsen-in-the-naked-gun-from-the-files-of-police-squad-1988--album.jpg
Views: 152
Size:  113.3 KB
    Last edited by Cordite; 27-07-2021 at 09:08 PM.
    10-Ring likes this.
    An itch ... is ... a desire to scratch

Quote Originally Posted by mopheadrob View Post
    My kids always ask if I "caught" anything when I get back from hunting. I have mental images of chasing down a stag and wrestling it to the ground.

Re. the OP, I do have a problem with the occasional use in America (and thankfully less occasional on here) of calling them "freedom seeds". Please do not do that in my presence, or you will get a tongue-lashing.
    Nah, I'll just casually refer to your "gun" or your "weapon" and study your reaction with interest.

I believe the projectile/ bullets question has been adequately answered so I’ll add this I have a firearms licence but I don’t have any firearms as I believe the police and the military have firearms. I have guns and rifles. I looked up firearms and it can been both but I’m sticking to my guns as they are not weapons.
    veitnamcam and Cyclops like this.
    Remember the 7 “P”s; Pryor Preparation Prevents Piss Poor Performance.

Gone But Not Forgotten
    Quote Originally Posted by 2post View Post
    I believe the projectile/ bullets question has been adequately answered so I’ll add this I have a firearms licence but I don’t have any firearms as I believe the police and the military have firearms. I have guns and rifles. I looked up firearms and it can been both but I’m sticking to my guns as they are not weapons.
    So you have a rifle and gun licence? Sounds good. The police and military have weapons which they don't need a licence for. The big brother miltaries even have weapons of mass destruction which they also don't need a licence to own. It's a mixed up world; enough to keep a man awake at night trying figure it out.
    2post likes this.

Sleep well tonight mate! I’m off to bed shortly… I shall lie there thinking about electric vehicles, climate change, angry men, bullet heads, Covid stats, water authorities, seeding trees and Cowboy’s nice dog. I am sure my subconscious powers will find a connection that ties them altogether. Then I will wake up.

What keeps me awake at night is my wife’s snoring.
    10-Ring, Cordite, 2post and 1 others like this.
    Just...say...the...word

Quote Originally Posted by 10-Ring View Post
    Can anyone explain the kiwi obsession with calling bullets 'projectiles' exclusively? You never see bullets for sale in NZ it's always marketed as 'projectiles'.

Sure, bullets are projectiles but so are artillery shells and cannon balls. More losely defined a projectile is any object hurtled through the atmosphere. A bullet can only be one thing and that's a bullet. The non shooting public call cartridges 'bullets' because they don't know any better. That's to be expected.

I've never seen or bought a box of bullets with 'projectile' written on it.

It's 3:30 a.m. and I can't get to sleep and I've been trying to figure this out.
    Are you a pom?

Quote Originally Posted by Flyblown View Post
    The poms are a funny bunch. But you already knew that.

The term "head" or "bullet head" will cause a certain segment of the UK shooting fraternity to practically soil themselves in unbridled opprobrium.

They can get really nasty about it, and I am being dead serious.
    @caberslash? Chime in here mate.

As far as they are concerned, "head" is a term used for a projectile by pikeys, chavs, the mentally deranged and poorly educated foreigners. They will go on and on and on and on and on... Providing various diagrams to demonstrate how the head is the base of the cartridge (cartridge head). And that the bit that flies through the air is the projectile. Someone called Miki got banned from one of the British forums for arguing about this so incessantly we were concerned he might have a breakdown. He'd start 3 threads a week on the matter, and you think I'm joking.

However...

Most online retailers in the UK refer to bullets/projectiles as heads or bullet heads. A fact that I delighted in telling Miki.

I couldn't give a toss either way, and it's not going to keep me awake tonight @10-Ring!
    Farrrkkk... didn't think we would get into semantics on this forum!

Unfortunately don't have the authority to speak for "the English", despite being born there (the West Midlands... the horror... the horror...) and I currently reside on the right (Northern) side of the border.

Out of the 4 languages I speak, English is the second most spoken language on Earth, and probably high up on the list of how many borrowed words they are.

I find this ironic, what with Brexit, England losing in the Euro's etc. A lot of 'English Nationalist' idiots are waving the
    St. Geroge's cross around. Well, St.G was Greek, and so are most of the younger members of the Royal Family through Philip.

Where were we again? Heads? Always better than tails!

Gone But Not Forgotten
    Quote Originally Posted by 300CALMAN View Post
    Are you a pom?
    Ha, hardly. I'm a 68 year old kiwi. Are you a German?

Quote Originally Posted by caberslash View Post
    Farrrkkk... didn't think we would get into semantics on this forum!

Unfortunately don't have the authority to speak for "the English", despite being born there (the West Midlands... the horror... the horror...) and I currently reside on the right (Northern) side of the border.

Out of the 4 languages I speak, English is the second most spoken language on Earth, and probably high up on the list of how many borrowed words they are.

I find this ironic, what with Brexit, England losing in the Euro's etc. A lot of 'English Nationalist' idiots are waving the
    St. Geroge's cross around. Well, St.G was Greek, and so are most of the younger members of the Royal Family through Philip.

Where were we again? Heads? Always better than tails!

“The problem with defending the purity of the English language is that English is about as pure as a cribhouse whore. We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary.”
    ― James D. Nicoll
    Flyblown, Finnwolf and caberslash like this.
    Every machine is a smoke machine,
    If you use it wrong enough.

Geez, you guys must be bored.
    10-Ring and 300CALMAN like this.
    Welcome to Sako club.

Quote Originally Posted by 2post View Post
    Gun is derived from the Old English word, "gonne" which means a military/war contraption. Indeed the earliest handheld firearm was the handgonne. Maybe the only safe place word left is "musket"? (-;
    2post likes this.

I reckon on some level we're aware of what words have been smeared by the press. 'Projectile' sounds less offensive than 'Bullet". Same as a rifle is a 'firearm', not a 'weapon'.

Quote Originally Posted by T.FOYE View Post
    I reckon on some level we're aware of what words have been smeared by the press. 'Projectile' sounds less offensive than 'Bullet". Same as a rifle is a 'firearm', not a 'weapon'.
    No real need for the press to smear them. Those things are devastating if used wrongly. Always point in a safe direction.

Quote Originally Posted by 10-Ring View Post
    Ha, hardly. I'm a 68 year old kiwi. Are you a German?
    Nein

But projectile is a nice generic term that covers slugs, pellets, buckshot, musket balls and a lot of other things as well as bullets. So...

Quote Originally Posted by dogmatix View Post
    Geez, you guys must be bored.
    Ah but you read enough of this to come tho that conclusion!
    Cordite likes this.