Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Cast .44 loads

Quote Originally Posted by The bomb View Post
    Shooting from tube mag,will mild crimp be ok?
    There's not much recoil. Never had a bullet jump crimp with that load. My crimp as mild and yours at mild...hard to govern.

Due to load some of Robert's 270gr pills. 17th's brew was 23gr 2205 for 240xtp. Do I just drop a grain for this heavier pill so 22gr 2205?

Quote Originally Posted by TeRei View Post
    Due to load some of Robert's 270gr pills. 17th's brew was 23gr 2205 for 240xtp. Do I just drop a grain for this heavier pill so 22gr 2205?
    Not a good Idea max load for 2205/4227 is 22.5 grains better to start at 20.0 grains and work up you only need to load 3 of each to check pressure and accuracy
    to start, That is what I do and then shoot 10 shot groups to fine tune the load, Standard loading practise with Cast bullet shooters, But then I make them so no great expense,
    Hope they go well for you, watch your angles if shooting with dogs at full velocity they may pass through the 280 grain FP do at 900fps you could be getting 1500fps with the 270
    would like to see some pictures if you recover any from animals, Cheers Robert.
    Moa Hunter and Micky Duck like this.

Quote Originally Posted by shooternz View Post
    Not a good Idea max load for 2205/4227 is 22.5 grains better to start at 20.0 grains and work up you only need to load 3 of each to check pressure and accuracy
    to start, That is what I do and then shoot 10 shot groups to fine tune the load, Standard loading practise with Cast bullet shooters, But then I make them so no great expense,
    Hope they go well for you, watch your angles if shooting with dogs at full velocity they may pass through the 280 grain FP do at 900fps you could be getting 1500fps with the 270
    would like to see some pictures if you recover any from animals, Cheers Robert.
    Thanks. They are going to my son in Tok.

took some up to fella today to try out.....pretty sure I will hear back within a few days how the preform on ol gruntasaurus's have asked him to keep any projectiles he recovers.....watch this space.
    shooternz likes this.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

LOL projectiles are going home again...

FWIW the cast jobbies will fit/chamber nicely in begera 44magnum seated out LOOOOOOONG a good 4 mm longer than supposed to be,the lube groove just inside the case....my theory is by increasing case capacity it will help keep pressure down while still using a known charge weight....now if a fella wanted to hot a load up,the extra case space created would be handy.....

That's handy in my Hood, Just setting up my Dillon 550 to load .44 mags
    Micky Duck likes this.