Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Cci standard Vel 40g

A Better Lover Than A Shooter Ultimitsu's Avatar
    I used to shoot almost exclusively CCI SV for target shooting. I have gone through about 4 or 5 cases. My first case of CCI SV was about $380, my last case was I think $450 a couple of years ago. For its price, there was no competition. In my view its performance is on par with likes of Winchester T22 and RWS R 50 This much is for sure. It is, however, a cheaper end target ammo in the end of the day. so do not expect it can match all other more expensive ammos. This year when I asked around, the case price now is over $600. The price increase over the last 2 years actually put it in competition against ammos that used to occupy a different market. My 22lr ammo purchase this year was SK Magazine instead (same as SK standard Plus but packaged in 500-round cans).

In my KIDD 10/22, when I was shooting CCI SV I used to have to clean the barrel after about 150 to 200 rounds or else it will have failure to fire. The cause is that CCI SV leaves a lot of residue inside the chamber that after enough buildup it would create enough resistance so that the bolt cannot push the round all the way in, as a result when firing pin hits the rim, it simply pushes the round further a little and does not fire. After I switched to SK, it took over 1000 round for the same issue to develop after the last barrel cleaning. The SK is definitely more accurate and has less flyers than CCI SV as well.

This link .22LR Rimfire Ammo Comparison Test within AccurateShooter.com is consistent with my view/experience with CCI SV.

CCI SV is definitely not a good hunting round. CCI HP sub is far better for a little more money. I think they have the same design and powder, it is simply that the hollow point causing far better killing wound.

There is a tool that lets you turn CCI SV into CCI HP sub, but it does not seem cost effective. The usual price difference between the two ammo is about 20-30 dollars for 500 rounds. I think to unpack 500 rounds, push a hole in each one, package them all back, wash your hands and tidy up the workstation, etc, will take at least one hour, more realistically 2 hours. That is 2 hours of time spent for 20-30 dollars of saving... Unless you are a uni student it simply does not compute.
    rupert and winaa like this.

When I was shooting indoor 25 mtr probably 90% of the shooters used some flavor of Eley 22RF.

I see that now Eley are producing a special 22RF standard and sub sonic ammunition for Semi Autos.
    42 gr at 1250 or 42 gr at 1090 fps.

ShootingStuff are currently specialing of the end of season semi auto 22Rf stock for $87.50 per 500. ($8.75 a box 50)

The other round nose is $6 or $7 a box.

The Eley subsonic we get over here,is the quietest subsonic I have used.
    RWS was supposed to be quieter but dosnt seem like it.
    "Sixty percent of the time,it works every time"

My tikka t1x loves the cci standard

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    My favorite sentences i like to hear are - I suppose so. and Send It!

MB
    It took a bit of effort to get my hands on Eley subsonics. I was expecting great things, but they grouped a little bit worse than CCI subsonics (HP). CCI Standard Velocity was probably the best of the lot by a small margin, but I prefer HP for pest control, so have stuck with those for everything. I have a CZ452 with 15inch barrel.

A Better Lover Than A Shooter Ultimitsu's Avatar
    "in my view its performance is on par with likes of Winchester T22 and RWS R 50"

This was a mistake, I should have said in my view its performance is on par with likes of Winchester T22 and RWS Target Rifle,.

R 50 is the high end stuff. Target Rifle is about 10 dollars or so per 50 which ismore comparable to CCI SV.

norsk, the standard eley hollow nose subs are a 38 gr doing about 1050 fps vs their standard 40gr round nose at 1090 fps. They where designed to be extra quiet.
    the 42gr HP subs are designed to cycle a semi auto so use a different powder to give a similar recoil impulse to the semi auto action as a 1250 fps standard 22rf 40 gr high velocity.
    Z