Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree43Likes

Thread: Disposing of old ammunition

Looks like we've re-homed everything but the 22 hornets. If any Chch members are keen I can likely get them dropped down in the next few weeks, otherwise I will dispose of them.

Cheers
    Grant
    2post likes this.

Caretaker
    I know a 22 hornet user in Hawkes bay that can use them

But

If someone else here wants the 22 hornet give it to them first
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

Quote Originally Posted by Rushy View Post
    If there is a Gun City local to you, they would likely take it off your hands.
    and onsell at huge profit!!!
    75/15/10 black powder matters

bluecod/ken will likely use the hornet ammunition.... he is in oamaru.... heck in these times of shortages DO NOT dump anything...SOMEONE will be grateful for it,even to pull apart for components it is still worth having.

Hornets now gone - so all now accounted for...

Cheers guys
    Grant

the THANKS it to you HoppyV8.......... if more fellas were as considerate,the world would be a better place all around.
    7mmsaum, Husky1600, 40mm and 3 others like this.

Defence force EOD regularly travel the country pick g up anything that goes bang and is unwanted. Try the local police, who may hold it until the EOD guys do their next round.

If the council discovers ammo (actually, anything that isn't offal!) being dumped into an offal hole, you'll be up to your elbows between please explain and you now need a consent for that...

Pretty sure any Police station that has an Arms Officer will dispose of the ammo, they give it to EOD.

However the method you have used (finding licensed people that want it) is far better imho.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Sheesh i wish someone would post like that within driving distance of me, lol. Ammo like that is far too useful to dump. In fact, if you cant get rid if the Hornet come back to me...
    Micky Duck and Borris like this.
    I know a lot but it seems less every day...

Quote Originally Posted by Ingrid 51 View Post
    It used to be dumped in cook strait or out beyond great barrier I think. In the 60’s, I was in our college’s Bren gun team. Four of us we given 10,000 rounds of three oh ammo to dispose of….on a 25 yard range up Pyes Pa, Tauranga way. Pongas got chopped up, barrels got too hot to touch, big holes were created in the bank and I’ve been deaf ever since!
    When CAC closed in the 1980's huge amount was dumped in the Hauraki Gulf, think it was by the old "gut boat" that dumped the offal from fishing industry. Had a mate who worked there, said it was mind-boggling what was dumped. Lot of the ammo was Norma, Remington etc. they used it to do velocity tests against their CAC ammo. Said they never did it by half measures, would buy 500 rounds and test 10.

A lot of the time there's a few rounds loafing, I have a collet die for the press and use that to dissassemble unwanted ammo. Never had a problem carefully pushing the primers out, dropping them onto something soft and clearing each one. I discharge them in a popper or with a hammer on a chunk of steel (with a plate between me and the chunk of steel to deflect anything that wants to relocate itself in my direction). Powder makes bloody good fertiliser - and in this time of high vege prices I aint complaining about getting free fert! The rest of the components are usually good to reuse or into the scrap metal.

I would have thought the best way to dispose of any ammo is down a long thin tube with a telescope put on top.
    Growlybear and HoppyV8 like this.
    Gun control is using both hands