Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree99Likes

Thread: F**ck'n CCI Primers !

F**ck'n CCI Primers !

Had this issue several years ago with a 1,000 batch of Large Rifle CCI Primers. A number or primers didn't ignite unless retried two or three times. Some didn't ignite at all. I put the rest of them aside. Also have 1,000 Large Rifle Magnum CCI Primers. Probably used roughly half with no issues, until yesterday. Made up a ladder of loads for my .375 Ruger, 23 rounds total. One round couldn't be fired, even after trying three times. Friggin annoying ! Guess I'll be putting these aside too.
    Only reason I used them was my Fedaral Primers are running low and I need to ration use until I can get more. NEVER had a failure with Fedaral.

Picked up some of the new White River Primers today. Looking forward to giving them a whirl.

I found that they are quite hard and cases mustn’t be over sized so that there is movement onto the shoulder. Head space needs to be tight to ensure a good primer strike. Jaco put me onto this misfire remedy. I size my brass to be firm on closure now with the CCI LR primers now. Fixed the problem.
    Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing, and right-doing, there is a field. I will meet you there.
    - Rumi

Found a similar thing with CCI Small Rifle Magnum Primers (which are probably harder than they need to be for the purpose). Root cause I believe of my problem was a build up of grease inside the bolt, slowing the firing pin. Strip it out and replaced with a light oil and haven't had issues since. They are definitely not as sensitive as Federal. I believe Federals excessively space consuming packaging is because of their high sensitivity.

The good thing is that they disguise pressure cos they don’t flatten or crater soo quickly. I’m sick of Brian and Rod giving me shit about my loads being “warm” and pointing at my fired cases with contempt. I’m happy to take everyone’s spare CCI primers. They will be a face saving device.
    Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing, and right-doing, there is a field. I will meet you there.
    - Rumi

Can't complain about any CCI or Federal I've used, used Winchester for years till I got a bad batch, some of them blew out the edge of the primer and the hot gases rapidly etched the bolt faces on two of my rifles on the same day testing loads at the range. Hadn't got near max load so wasn't looking to carefully at the primers. Have never used Winchester again and have a good look with a magnifying glass after each group.
    6x47 and Woody like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Makros View Post
    Found a similar thing with CCI Small Rifle Magnum Primers (which are probably harder than they need to be for the purpose). Root cause I believe of my problem was a build up of grease inside the bolt, slowing the firing pin. Strip it out and replaced with a light oil and haven't had issues since. They are definitely not as sensitive as Federal. I believe Federals excessively space consuming packaging is because of their high sensitivity.
    I had that exact same problem. Also combined with oversize brass. No more issues.

I prefer cci and fioachi in my Milsurps as i had federal rapture primers. Could tell looking at the primers the firing pin hits way deeper than sporting rifles.

had this 25 years ago when first got the zastava...until learnt to release bolt spring tension during storage by twisting rear of bolt to allow firing pin to poke out.
    shananah likes this.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Handed over my 21 pieces of silver last night and got some white river LR primers. They're so new that I can't find any reviews on them. Guess we'll know after the weekend if they're any good. Apparently WR come from an automated factory that was only recently built.

Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    I found that they are quite hard and cases mustn’t be over sized so that there is movement onto the shoulder. Head space needs to be tight to ensure a good primer strike. Jaco put me onto this misfire remedy. I size my brass to be firm on closure now with the CCI LR primers now. Fixed the problem.
    Yes, you are correct on the headspace factor. I did wonder as the ladder I shot was made of both virgin and once fired brass. I'm pretty sure the defective round was a once fired case and my FL die is set for minimal bump as I prefer to chamber a round with slight "feel". But, I know with newish brass it can take two or three firings for a case to reach max stretch for a chamber, requiring a final and permanent resetting of the FL die for perfect brass sizing. It might be a case that needs another firing or two to max out. Still surprising though that the primer didn't ignite with repeated firings.
    Tahr likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    I had the same thing with the CCI SR magnum primers in my 223 using new unsized brass. About 1 in 20 would misfire. Necksized the once fired brass and haven't had an issue since.
    Tahr likes this.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

I can’t take credit for that remedy. Sent the rifle and cases to Jaco and he figured it by measuring my cases with some gadget. Big variation and all the unfired ones had the most bump back.
    - Rumi

[QUOTE=Nugget connaisseur;1503621].. i had federal rapture primers. ..

So the primers got off on it?

Quote Originally Posted by T.FOYE View Post
    .. Apparently WR come from an automated factory that was only recently built.
    Hope they work OK, one of my team mates has some loads he's gonna try at 1000 on the weekend. Any outfit with the energy/balls to set up a new factory to make components has my support.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Thats terrible to hear mate.
    I tell you what, since I think you could do with a little generosity Since this unfortunate incident, I will take those dam primers and go through the process of disposing of them safely for no charge.
    You just pay postage to get them to me and ill do the rest.
    Maybe you can buy me a beer sometime if you feel like you need to, but honestly it would be my pleasure to do a good deed.

Cheers, 40mm
    Tahr, veitnamcam, Bryan and 6 others like this.
    Use enough gun

I looked at the indentation on the primer and thought to myself, the shoulders has been pushed back to far during sizing or new brass. Cheers Tahr, Ill put my money on your diagnoses.
    Tahr and Micky Duck like this.